The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ), which rose 1.85% or 0.94 points to trade at 51.79 at the close. Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) added 1.76% or 1.63 points to end at 94.34 and Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) was up 1.68% or 4.02 points to 243.09 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ), which lost 1.05% or 0.64 points to trade at 60.50 in late trade. Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CSCO ) declined 0.62% or 0.19 points to end at 30.56 and Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ) shed 0.31% or 0.36 points to 115.66.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were CarMax Inc (NYSE: KMX ) which rose 6.09% to 66.16, TripAdvisor Inc (NASDAQ: TRIP ) which was up 5.05% to settle at 48.80 and Freeport-McMoran Copper & Gold Inc (NYSE: FCX ) which gained 4.50% to close at 14.16.
The worst performers were Acuity Brands Inc (NYSE: AYI ) which was down 5.64% to 231.72 in late trade, Constellation Brands Inc (NYSE: STZ ) which lost 4.03% to settle at 150.45 and Praxair Inc (NYSE: PX ) which was down 3.75% to 118.39 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Conatus Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: CNAT ) which rose 141.33% to 4.730, Freds Inc (NASDAQ: FRED ) which was up 81.08% to settle at 20.19 and Terravia Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: TVIA ) which gained 23.81% to close at 1.300.
The worst performers were NeuroMetrix Inc (NASDAQ: NURO ) which was down 27.78% to 0.662 in late trade, Celsion Corp (NASDAQ: CLSN ) which lost 25.15% to settle at 0.344 and Sphere 3D Corp (NASDAQ: ANY ) which was down 23.08% to 0.200 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2038 to 1189 and 42 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1622 rose and 902 declined, while 100 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 2.48% to 11.42 a new 3-month low.
In commodities trading, Gold for February delivery was down 0.78% or 8.90 to $1133.80 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in February rose 0.58% or 0.31 to hit $53.37 a barrel, while the February Brent oil contract rose 0.89% or 0.49 to trade at $55.41 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.12% to 1.0389, while USD/JPY rose 0.61% to 117.83.
The US Dollar Index was up 0.20% at 103.28.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.