The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ), which rose 5.88% or 6.36 points to trade at 114.54 at the close. McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE: MCD ) added 4.75% or 7.22 points to end at 159.07 and Wal-Mart Stores Inc (NYSE: WMT ) was up 2.12% or 1.63 points to 78.52 in late trade.
Biggest losers included 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ), which lost 5.05% or 10.61 points to trade at 199.39 in late trade. United Technologies Corporation (NYSE: UTX ) declined 2.20% or 2.71 points to end at 120.42 and Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ) shed 0.85% or 1.13 points to 131.88.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Freeport-McMoran Copper & Gold Inc (NYSE: FCX ) which rose 14.74% to 14.87, Newmont Mining Corporation (NYSE: NEM ) which was up 6.90% to settle at 36.24 and Range Resources Corporation (NYSE: RRC ) which gained 6.83% to close at 21.82.
The worst performers were Seagate Technology PLC (NASDAQ: STX ) which was down 16.50% to 33.20 in late trade, Interpublic Group of Companies Inc (NYSE: IPG ) which lost 13.34% to settle at 22.16 and Micron Technology Inc (NASDAQ: MU ) which was down 5.59% to 29.90 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Qualstar Corporation (NASDAQ: QBAK ) which rose 23.39% to 11.6600, Compugen Ltd (NASDAQ: CGEN ) which was up 19.12% to settle at 4.05 and Altimmune Inc (NASDAQ: ALT ) which gained 18.37% to close at 2.900.
The worst performers were Neuralstem Inc (NASDAQ: CUR ) which was down 49.64% to 2.8100 in late trade, Novavax Inc (NASDAQ: NVAX ) which lost 27.15% to settle at 1.100 and SenesTech Inc (NASDAQ: SNES ) which was down 20.68% to 2.80 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1912 to 1199 and 137 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1425 rose and 1071 declined, while 131 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 0.21% to 9.45 a new all time low.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was down 0.29% or 3.63 to $1250.67 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in September rose 3.65% or 1.69 to hit $48.03 a barrel, while the September Brent oil contract rose 3.52% or 1.71 to trade at $50.31 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.03% to 1.1646, while USD/JPY rose 0.73% to 111.91.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.12% at 93.93.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.