U.S. shares higher at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average up 0.58%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were higher at the close on Tuesday, as gains in the Technology , Oil & Gas and Utilities sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average added 0.58% to hit a new all time high, while the S&P 500 index gained 0.65%, and the NASDAQ Composite index gained 0.95%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ), which rose 2.31% or 0.83 points to trade at 36.80 at the close. Exxon Mobil Corporation (NYSE: XOM ) added 1.76% or 1.60 points to end at 92.58 and International Business Machines (NYSE: IBM ) was up 1.69% or 2.79 points to 168.29 in late trade.
Biggest losers included EI du Pont de Nemours and Company (NYSE: DD ), which lost 0.45% or 0.34 points to trade at 74.75 in late trade. 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ) declined 0.45% or 0.81 points to end at 178.83 and General Electric Company (NYSE: GE ) shed 0.38% or 0.12 points to 31.74.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Noble Energy Inc (NYSE: NBL ) which rose 4.52% to 41.64, Seagate Technology PLC (NASDAQ: STX ) which was up 4.26% to settle at 40.84 and Newmont Mining Corporation (NYSE: NEM ) which gained 3.90% to close at 33.87.
The worst performers were Alexion Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: ALXN ) which was down 4.41% to 110.01 in late trade, Weyerhaeuser Company (NYSE: WY ) which lost 3.17% to settle at 32.07 and Urban Outfitters Inc (NASDAQ: URBN ) which was down 2.82% to 32.34 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were US Energy Corp (NASDAQ: USEG ) which rose 62.41% to 2.2900, Sunshine Heart Inc (NASDAQ: SSH ) which was up 52.63% to settle at 0.580 and Rennova Health Inc (NASDAQ: RNVA ) which gained 44.70% to close at 0.164.
The worst performers were Proteon Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: PRTO ) which was down 74.75% to 2.50 in late trade, Inovalon Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: INOV ) which lost 35.35% to settle at 9.60 and aTyr Pharma Inc (NASDAQ: LIFE ) which was down 23.29% to 2.800 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1915 to 1324 and 29 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1350 rose and 1185 declined, while 96 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 0.55% to 12.71.
In commodities trading, Gold for February delivery was down 0.43% or 5.05 to $1160.75 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in January fell 0.02% or 0.01 to hit $52.82 a barrel, while the February Brent oil contract fell 0.20% or 0.11 to trade at $55.58 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.14% to 1.0622, while USD/JPY rose 0.10% to 115.13.
The US Dollar Index was up 0.09% at 101.09.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or