The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ), which rose 2.27% or 2.19 points to trade at 98.50 at the close. Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) added 1.46% or 3.55 points to end at 246.27 and Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CSCO ) was up 1.46% or 0.46 points to 31.97 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ), which lost 0.88% or 0.43 points to trade at 48.55 in late trade. Wal-Mart Stores Inc (NYSE: WMT ) declined 0.37% or 0.25 points to end at 67.77 and Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ) shed 0.23% or 0.13 points to 56.09.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company (NASDAQ: GT ) which rose 5.90% to 35.71, Regeneron Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: REGN ) which was up 4.39% to settle at 375.66 and Nucor Corporation (NYSE: NUE ) which gained 4.26% to close at 63.59.
The worst performers were NVIDIA Corporation (NASDAQ: NVDA ) which was down 4.61% to 108.38 in late trade, Activision Blizzard Inc (NASDAQ: ATVI ) which lost 3.24% to settle at 45.70 and Gap Inc (NYSE: GPS ) which was down 3.00% to 23.63 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were My Size Inc (NASDAQ: MYSZ ) which rose 184.94% to 10.97, Sino-Global Shipping America Ltd (NASDAQ: SINO ) which was up 72.79% to settle at 4.7000 and Zosano Pharma Corp (NASDAQ: ZSAN ) which gained 41.67% to close at 1.700.
The worst performers were Tellurian Inc (NASDAQ: TELL ) which was down 17.25% to 11.6100 in late trade, Signal Genetics Inc (NASDAQ: SGNL ) which lost 15.17% to settle at 12.3000 and Celsion Corp (NASDAQ: CLSN ) which was down 13.70% to 0.388 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1880 to 1341 and 43 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1398 rose and 1087 declined, while 132 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 2.03% to 11.07.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was down 0.73% or 9.05 to $1226.85 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in March fell 1.78% or 0.96 to hit $52.90 a barrel, while the April Brent oil contract fell 1.96% or 1.11 to trade at $55.59 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.39% to 1.0598, while USD/JPY rose 0.47% to 113.72.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.27% at 100.99.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.