The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ), which rose 4.23% or 2.51 points to trade at 61.79 at the close. Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) added 3.98% or 3.03 points to end at 79.13 and Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) was up 3.59% or 5.54 points to 159.85 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Coca-Cola Company (NYSE: KO ), which lost 1.31% or 0.61 points to trade at 46.04 in late trade. Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ) declined 1.27% or 0.66 points to end at 51.29 and McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE: MCD ) shed 0.55% or 0.70 points to 126.89.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Tenet Healthcare Corporation (NYSE: THC ) which rose 9.26% to 31.73, Micron Technology Inc (NASDAQ: MU ) which was up 6.98% to settle at 10.88 and Legg Mason Inc (NYSE: LM ) which gained 5.78% to close at 34.05.
The worst performers were Reynolds American Inc (NYSE: RAI ) which was down 4.12% to 49.15 in late trade, Tyson Foods Inc (NYSE: TSN ) which lost 4.01% to settle at 65.63 and Newmont Mining Corporation (NYSE: NEM ) which was down 3.75% to 29.48 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Repros Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: RPRX ) which rose 175.40% to 2.25, Trio Merger Corp (NASDAQ: SAEX ) which was up 28.70% to settle at 0.628 and Donegal Group B Inc (NASDAQ: DGICB ) which gained 27.63% to close at 16.400.
The worst performers were MOL Global Inc (NASDAQ: MOLG ) which was down 55.22% to 0.3000 in late trade, Pacific Sunwear of California Inc (NASDAQ: PSUN ) which lost 17.20% to settle at 0.0414 and Linn Co LLC (NASDAQ: LNCO ) which was down 12.49% to 0.4402 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2516 to 836 and 28 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2008 rose and 608 declined, while 40 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 6.60% to 13.87.
In commodities trading, Gold for June delivery was down 1.31% or 16.50 to $1244.40 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in May fell 1.45% or 0.61 to hit $41.56 a barrel, while the June Brent oil contract fell 1.72% or 0.77 to trade at $43.92 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.91% to 1.1279, while USD/JPY rose 0.62% to 109.31.
The US Dollar Index was up 0.82% at 94.79.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
USD you give us 28Like 0
guys in Trading I love you guysLike 0