U.S. shares higher at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average up 1.64%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were higher at the close on Wednesday, as gains in the Financials , Oil & Gas and Basic Materials sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average gained 1.64%, while the S&P 500 index gained 1.70%, and the NASDAQ Composite index added 1.86%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ), which rose 3.88% or 2.06 points to trade at 55.13 at the close. American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) added 3.02% or 1.75 points to end at 59.64 and JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) was up 2.87% or 1.71 points to 61.20 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ), which lost 0.10% or 0.13 points to trade at 127.37 in late trade. Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ) added 0.46% or 0.25 points to end at 55.06 and Coca-Cola Company (NYSE: KO ) gained 0.61% or 0.27 points to 44.44.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Mallinckrodt (NYSE: MNK ) which rose 6.45% to 59.88, Murphy Oil Corporation (NYSE: MUR ) which was up 6.40% to settle at 31.99 and Seagate Technology PLC (NASDAQ: STX ) which gained 6.30% to close at 23.95.
The worst performers were Southwestern Energy Company (NYSE: SWN ) which was down 6.19% to 13.03 in late trade, EQT Corporation (NYSE: EQT ) which lost 2.87% to settle at 76.93 and Alcoa Inc (NYSE: AA ) which was down 2.47% to 9.09 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were TESARO Inc (NASDAQ: TSRO ) which rose 108.92% to 77.740, XOMA Corporation (NASDAQ: XOMA ) which was up 36.50% to settle at 0.6201 and China Auto Logistics Inc (NASDAQ: CALI ) which gained 21.13% to close at 1.720.
The worst performers were Galena Biopharma Inc (NASDAQ: GALE ) which was down 82.76% to 0.3500 in late trade, Lipocine In (NASDAQ: LPCN ) which lost 50.56% to settle at 3.10 and Esperion Th (NASDAQ: ESPR ) which was down 40.30% to 9.66 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2729 to 532 and 49 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2057 rose and 534 declined, while 51 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 10.72% to 16.74.
In commodities trading, Gold for August delivery was up 0.22% or 2.90 to $1320.80 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in August rose 3.41% or 1.63 to hit $49.48 a barrel, while the September Brent oil contract rose 3.23% or 1.59 to trade at $50.85 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.52% to 1.1123, while USD/JPY rose 0.12% to 102.89.
The US Dollar Index was down 0.51% at 95.70.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or