U.S. shares lower at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average down 0.07%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were lower at the close on Thursday, as losses in the Basic Materials , Oil & Gas and Consumer Services sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average declined 0.07%, while the S&P 500 index declined 0.22%, and the NASDAQ Composite index fell 0.47%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were General Electric Company (NYSE: GE ), which rose 1.72% or 0.49 points to trade at 28.94 at the close. Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) added 1.61% or 1.69 points to end at 106.40 and Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) was up 1.60% or 3.07 points to 195.45 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ), which lost 3.22% or 1.76 points to trade at 52.90 in late trade. Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) declined 1.45% or 3.28 points to end at 223.23 and Wal-Mart Stores Inc (NYSE: WMT ) shed 1.24% or 0.99 points to 78.91.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Frontier Communications Corporation (NASDAQ: FTR ) which rose 3.15% to 1.31, H&R Block Inc (NYSE: HRB ) which was up 3.02% to settle at 30.01 and Harley-Davidson Inc (NYSE: HOG ) which gained 2.91% to close at 54.89.
The worst performers were Kroger Company (NYSE: KR ) which was down 18.89% to 24.56 in late trade, Nucor Corporation (NYSE: NUE ) which lost 7.63% to settle at 54.60 and Whole Foods Market Inc (NASDAQ: WFM ) which was down 6.74% to 33.06 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Adamis Pharma (NASDAQ: ADMP ) which rose 53.33% to 5.75, Valeritas Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: VLRX ) which was up 23.55% to settle at 6.19 and J W Mays Inc (NASDAQ: MAYS ) which gained 18.78% to close at 39.85.
The worst performers were Celsion Corp (NASDAQ: CLSN ) which was down 25.45% to 2.050 in late trade, Adesto Technologies Corp (NASDAQ: IOTS ) which lost 15.62% to settle at 4.05 and KemPharm Inc (NASDAQ: KMPH ) which was down 14.67% to 3.20 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1993 to 1234 and 27 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1553 fell and 947 advanced, while 129 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 2.73% to 10.93.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was down 1.50% or 19.17 to $1256.73 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in July fell 0.72% or 0.32 to hit $44.41 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract fell 0.26% or 0.12 to trade at $46.88 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.63% to 1.1147, while USD/JPY rose 1.20% to 110.90.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.58% at 97.47.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or