The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ), which rose 0.57% or 0.54 points to trade at 95.66 at the close. Exxon Mobil Corporation (NYSE: XOM ) added 0.45% or 0.37 points to end at 82.83 and UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) was up 0.30% or 0.50 points to 168.70 in late trade.
Biggest losers included The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ), which lost 1.46% or 1.81 points to trade at 122.32 in late trade. JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) declined 0.95% or 0.88 points to end at 91.92 and Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) shed 0.92% or 0.33 points to 35.57.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Range Resources Corporation (NYSE: RRC ) which rose 4.13% to 28.47, Cabot Oil & Gas Corporation (NYSE: COG ) which was up 3.53% to settle at 23.15 and Southwestern Energy Company (NYSE: SWN ) which gained 2.98% to close at 7.94.
The worst performers were Endo International PLC (NASDAQ: ENDP ) which was down 6.94% to 11.40 in late trade, CSRA Inc (NYSE: CSRA ) which lost 4.26% to settle at 28.66 and Frontier Communications Corporation (NASDAQ: FTR ) which was down 3.83% to 2.76 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were TG Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: TGTX ) which rose 90.65% to 10.20, Concert Pha (NASDAQ: CNCE ) which was up 62.07% to settle at 15.64 and Dextera Surgical Inc (NASDAQ: DXTR ) which gained 30.70% to close at 1.4900.
The worst performers were Gordmans Stores Inc (NASDAQ: GMAN ) which was down 71.38% to 0.174 in late trade, Kura Oncology Inc (NASDAQ: KURA ) which lost 27.00% to settle at 7.300 and Nanthealth LLC (NASDAQ: NH ) which was down 23.29% to 5.50 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2271 to 965 and 36 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1784 fell and 747 advanced, while 90 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 2.74% to 11.26.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was down 0.04% or 0.45 to $1226.05 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in April fell 0.26% or 0.14 to hit $53.19 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract rose 0.14% or 0.08 to trade at $55.98 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.37% to 1.0582, while USD/JPY fell 0.12% to 113.91.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.32% at 101.67.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.