The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ), which rose 0.86% or 0.30 points to trade at 35.21 at the close. Boeing Company (NYSE: BA ) added 0.25% or 0.34 points to end at 135.00 and Exxon Mobil Corporation (NYSE: XOM ) was up 0.18% or 0.16 points to 87.97 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ), which lost 1.61% or 1.97 points to trade at 120.34 in late trade. Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ) declined 1.60% or 0.86 points to end at 52.75 and The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ) shed 1.16% or 1.37 points to 116.98.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Chesapeake Energy Corporation (NYSE: CHK ) which rose 7.55% to 5.915, Cintas Corporation (NASDAQ: CTAS ) which was up 5.19% to settle at 112.99 and Praxair Inc (NYSE: PX ) which gained 2.74% to close at 121.27.
The worst performers were VeriSign Inc (NASDAQ: VRSN ) which was down 7.14% to 75.97 in late trade, TJX Companies Inc (NYSE: TJX ) which lost 5.80% to settle at 77.97 and Activision Blizzard Inc (NASDAQ: ATVI ) which was down 5.23% to 39.31 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were StemCells Inc (NASDAQ: STEM ) which rose 598.55% to 2.6000, Neuralstem Inc (NASDAQ: CUR ) which was up 40.00% to settle at 0.2940 and Syros Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: SYRS ) which gained 36.11% to close at 12.25.
The worst performers were OncoGenex Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: OGXI ) which was down 40.51% to 0.5295 in late trade, The Hain Celestial Group Inc (NASDAQ: HAIN ) which lost 26.31% to settle at 39.35 and Erickson Air-Crane Inc (NASDAQ: EAC ) which was down 25.77% to 0.475 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2183 to 975 and 101 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1748 fell and 784 advanced, while 99 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 6.44% to 12.57.
In commodities trading, Gold for December delivery was up 0.30% or 4.10 to $1351.60 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in September rose 1.90% or 0.87 to hit $46.61 a barrel, while the October Brent oil contract rose 1.80% or 0.87 to trade at $49.22 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.87% to 1.1280, while USD/JPY fell 0.96% to 100.28.
The US Dollar Index was down 0.88% at 94.74.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.