U.S. shares lower at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average down 0.49%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were lower at the close on Friday, as losses in the Oil & Gas , Financials and Industrials sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 0.49%, while the S&P 500 index declined 0.38%, and the NASDAQ Composite index declined 0.10%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ), which rose 3.04% or 1.11 points to trade at 37.67 at the close. UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) added 2.12% or 2.87 points to end at 138.48 and Wal-Mart Stores Inc (NYSE: WMT ) was up 0.64% or 0.47 points to 72.86 in late trade.
Biggest losers included United Technologies Corporation (NYSE: UTX ), which lost 2.58% or 2.65 points to trade at 100.06 in late trade. Chevron Corporation (NYSE: CVX ) declined 1.70% or 1.69 points to end at 97.81 and Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CSCO ) shed 1.50% or 0.47 points to 30.84.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Western Digital Corporation (NASDAQ: WDC ) which rose 3.12% to 54.94, Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) which was up 3.04% to settle at 37.67 and Cigna Corporation (NYSE: CI ) which gained 2.59% to close at 131.97.
The worst performers were Range Resources Corporation (NYSE: RRC ) which was down 5.08% to 37.37 in late trade, Oracle Corporation (NYSE: ORCL ) which lost 4.67% to settle at 38.95 and WW Grainger Inc (NYSE: GWW ) which was down 4.26% to 218.22 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Carver Bancorp Inc (NASDAQ: CARV ) which rose 29.53% to 5.000, Stellar Biotechnologies Inc (NASDAQ: SBOT ) which was up 25.68% to settle at 2.790 and Insignia Systems Inc (NASDAQ: ISIG ) which gained 24.41% to close at 2.650.
The worst performers were Novavax Inc (NASDAQ: NVAX ) which was down 84.53% to 1.290 in late trade, Real Goods Solar Inc (NASDAQ: RGSE ) which lost 39.25% to settle at 2.6000 and Great Basin Scientific Inc (NASDAQ: GBSN ) which was down 31.14% to 3.9500 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2021 to 1144 and 82 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1335 fell and 1213 advanced, while 84 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 5.46% to 15.41.
In commodities trading, Gold for December delivery was down 0.34% or 4.45 to $1313.55 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in October fell 1.55% or 0.68 to hit $43.23 a barrel, while the November Brent oil contract fell 1.27% or 0.59 to trade at $46.00 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.79% to 1.1155, while USD/JPY rose 0.23% to 102.31.
The US Dollar Index was up 0.83% at 96.07.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or