The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Pfizer Inc (NYSE: PFE ), which rose 2.74% or 0.90 points to trade at 33.70 at the close. Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) added 1.64% or 1.54 points to end at 95.18 and UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) was up 0.27% or 0.36 points to 132.46 in late trade.
Biggest losers included United Technologies Corporation (NYSE: UTX ), which lost 2.15% or 2.24 points to trade at 102.13 in late trade. JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) declined 1.92% or 1.22 points to end at 62.56 and Chevron Corporation (NYSE: CVX ) shed 1.93% or 1.99 points to 101.32.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were FMC Corporation (NYSE: FMC ) which rose 8.48% to 47.32, Mallinckrodt (NYSE: MNK ) which was up 6.60% to settle at 64.84 and Fidelity National Information Svcs (NYSE: FIS ) which gained 6.12% to close at 71.29.
The worst performers were Chesapeake Energy Corporation (NYSE: CHK ) which was down 11.99% to 5.80 in late trade, Freeport-McMoran Copper & Gold Inc (NYSE: FCX ) which lost 11.37% to settle at 12.01 and Pitney Bowes Inc (NYSE: PBI ) which was down 9.47% to 18.93 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were xG Technology Inc (NASDAQ: XGTI ) which rose 55.00% to 0.1550, Echo Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: ECTE ) which was up 41.67% to settle at 1.700 and Crossroads Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CRDS ) which gained 41.60% to close at 0.3540.
The worst performers were Fairway Group Holdings Corp (NASDAQ: FWM ) which was down 62.46% to 0.0779 in late trade, Neuralstem Inc (NASDAQ: CUR ) which lost 40.67% to settle at 0.3500 and K2M Group H (NASDAQ: KTWO ) which was down 28.04% to 11.42 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2475 to 840 and 22 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1864 fell and 695 advanced, while 66 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 5.72% to 15.52.
In commodities trading, Gold for June delivery was down 0.57% or 7.40 to $1288.40 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in June fell 2.57% or 1.15 to hit $43.63 a barrel, while the July Brent oil contract fell 1.77% or 0.81 to trade at $45.02 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.25% to 1.1505, while USD/JPY rose 0.10% to 106.52.
The US Dollar Index was up 0.46% at 92.96.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.