The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ), which rose 1.48% or 1.33 points to trade at 91.15 at the close. Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) added 0.53% or 1.19 points to end at 224.41 and Chevron Corporation (NYSE: CVX ) was down 0.15% or 0.16 points to 104.12 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CSCO ), which lost 2.09% or 0.67 points to trade at 31.41 in late trade. Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) declined 1.93% or 0.66 points to end at 33.54 and Visa Inc (NYSE: V ) shed 1.88% or 1.81 points to 94.42.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Acuity Brands Inc (NYSE: AYI ) which rose 10.45% to 198.52, Southwestern Energy Company (NYSE: SWN ) which was up 6.00% to settle at 6.18 and Constellation Brands Inc (NYSE: STZ ) which gained 4.96% to close at 192.79.
The worst performers were Incyte Corporation (NASDAQ: INCY ) which was down 4.13% to 128.78 in late trade, Lam Research Corp (NASDAQ: LRCX ) which lost 3.71% to settle at 142.35 and McCormick & Company Incorporated (NYSE: MKC ) which was down 3.63% to 95.36 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Spherix Incorporated (NASDAQ: SPEX ) which rose 105.24% to 3.9200, CHF Solutions Inc (NASDAQ: CHFS ) which was up 75.61% to settle at 1.080 and NXT-ID Inc (NASDAQ: NXTD ) which gained 71.86% to close at 2.8700.
The worst performers were Inpixon (NASDAQ: INPX ) which was down 46.14% to 0.6840 in late trade, Top Ships Inc (NASDAQ: TOPS ) which lost 27.92% to settle at 0.4250 and Quinpario Acquisition Corp. 2 (NASDAQ: QPAC ) which was down 23.32% to 7.66 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2194 to 954 and 107 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1504 fell and 979 advanced, while 150 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 14.56% to 11.49 a new 1-month high.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was down 0.22% or 2.79 to $1246.31 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in August rose 0.29% or 0.13 to hit $44.87 a barrel, while the September Brent oil contract rose 0.06% or 0.03 to trade at $47.57 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.55% to 1.1441, while USD/JPY fell 0.16% to 112.11.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.50% at 95.30.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.