The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Pfizer Inc (NYSE: PFE ), which rose 0.54% or 0.18 points to trade at 33.19 at the close. Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) added 0.50% or 0.15 points to end at 29.91 and Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) was up 0.20% or 0.18 points to 90.52 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Wal-Mart Stores Inc (NYSE: WMT ), which lost 2.86% or 1.91 points to trade at 64.94 in late trade. Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) declined 2.27% or 1.63 points to end at 70.07 and EI du Pont de Nemours and Company (NYSE: DD ) shed 2.13% or 1.37 points to 62.91.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were NVIDIA Corporation (NASDAQ: NVDA ) which rose 15.21% to 40.98, Endo International PLC (NASDAQ: ENDP ) which was up 4.46% to settle at 14.05 and Allergan Plc (NYSE: AGN ) which gained 3.39% to close at 223.35.
The worst performers were Nordstrom Inc (NYSE: JWN ) which was down 13.42% to 39.16 in late trade, Freeport-McMoran Copper & Gold Inc (NYSE: FCX ) which lost 5.62% to settle at 10.41 and Southwestern Energy Company (NYSE: SWN ) which was down 5.06% to 11.26 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Wafergen Bi (NASDAQ: WGBS ) which rose 63.64% to 0.9000, Interpace Diagnostics Group Inc (NASDAQ: IDXG ) which was up 30.43% to settle at 0.3000 and Towerstream Corporation (NASDAQ: TWER ) which gained 18.88% to close at 0.2500.
The worst performers were ConforMIS Inc (NASDAQ: CFMS ) which was down 49.36% to 5.12 in late trade, Trio Merger Corp (NASDAQ: SAEX ) which lost 30.62% to settle at 0.486 and Real Goods Solar Inc (NASDAQ: RGSE ) which was down 29.56% to 0.3170 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2157 to 1145 and 38 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1428 fell and 1099 advanced, while 81 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 4.58% to 15.07.
In commodities trading, Gold for June delivery was up 0.24% or 3.05 to $1274.25 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in June fell 0.79% or 0.37 to hit $46.33 a barrel, while the July Brent oil contract fell 0.48% or 0.23 to trade at $47.85 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.62% to 1.1305, while USD/JPY fell 0.34% to 108.66.
The US Dollar Index was up 0.53% at 94.61.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.