The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Coca-Cola Company (NYSE: KO ), which rose 0.76% or 0.32 points to trade at 42.50 at the close. Chevron Corporation (NYSE: CVX ) added 0.35% or 0.38 points to end at 108.04 and Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ) was down 0.03% or 0.03 points to 91.19 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ), which lost 3.77% or 9.14 points to trade at 233.00 in late trade. Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) declined 3.11% or 2.97 points to end at 92.43 and JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) shed 2.93% or 2.64 points to 87.39.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Chipotle Mexican Grill Inc (NYSE: CMG ) which rose 2.81% to 407.52, Duke Energy Corporation (NYSE: DUK ) which was up 1.85% to settle at 82.68 and PPL Corporation (NYSE: PPL ) which gained 1.82% to close at 37.47.
The worst performers were KeyCorp (NYSE: KEY ) which was down 6.53% to 16.90 in late trade, Huntington Bancshares Incorporated (NASDAQ: HBAN ) which lost 6.07% to settle at 12.70 and Comerica Incorporated (NYSE: CMA ) which was down 6.06% to 66.37 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Pain Therapeutics (NASDAQ: PTIE ) which rose 45.59% to 0.990, Pulmatrix Inc (NASDAQ: PULM ) which was up 39.57% to settle at 3.880 and Silicom Ltd (NASDAQ: SILC ) which gained 20.74% to close at 46.74.
The worst performers were bebe stores inc (NASDAQ: BEBE ) which was down 44.65% to 3.5700 in late trade, Marathon Pa (NASDAQ: MARA ) which lost 38.10% to settle at 0.650 and Sunshine Heart Inc (NASDAQ: SSH ) which was down 27.56% to 2.050 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2520 to 699 and 42 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2177 fell and 387 advanced, while 55 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 10.23% to 12.50.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was up 0.87% or 10.70 to $1244.70 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in May fell 1.35% or 0.66 to hit $48.25 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract fell 1.24% or 0.64 to trade at $50.98 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.69% to 1.0813, while USD/JPY fell 0.72% to 111.75.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.63% at 99.53.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.