Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Friday, as gains in the Oil & Gas , Technology and Industrials sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Utilities , Telecoms and Financials sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Visa Inc (NYSE: V ), which rose 1.73% or 1.62 points to trade at 95.58 at the close. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) added 1.40% or 2.79 points to end at 202.23 and Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) was up 1.35% or 0.95 points to 71.21 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ), which lost 2.68% or 4.17 points to trade at 151.31 in late trade. Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) declined 1.17% or 2.58 points to end at 217.19 and Wal-Mart Stores Inc (NYSE: WMT ) shed 0.90% or 0.68 points to 74.84.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Frontier Communications Corporation (NASDAQ: FTR ) which rose 8.93% to 1.22, EQT Corporation (NYSE: EQT ) which was up 8.00% to settle at 56.19 and Southwestern Energy Company (NYSE: SWN ) which gained 4.23% to close at 5.79.
The worst performers were Bed Bath & Beyond Inc (NASDAQ: BBBY ) which was down 12.12% to 29.65 in late trade, Sysco Corporation (NYSE: SYY ) which lost 5.42% to settle at 49.92 and Whirlpool Corporation (NYSE: WHR ) which was down 3.32% to 188.68 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were AVEO Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: AVEO ) which rose 71.75% to 1.2500, Marathon Patent Group Inc (NASDAQ: MARA ) which was up 52.27% to settle at 0.335 and Portola Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: PTLA ) which gained 46.75% to close at 56.13.
The worst performers were Top Ships Inc (NASDAQ: TOPS ) which was down 66.67% to 0.8000 in late trade, Sphere 3D Corp (NASDAQ: ANY ) which lost 33.31% to settle at 0.171 and Delcath Systems Inc (NASDAQ: DCTH ) which was down 32.26% to 0.1600 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2146 to 1064 and 35 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1623 rose and 912 declined, while 81 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 3.91% to 10.07.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was up 0.66% or 8.21 to $1257.61 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in August rose 0.89% or 0.38 to hit $43.12 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract rose 1.02% or 0.46 to trade at $45.68 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.40% to 1.1197, while USD/JPY fell 0.03% to 111.30.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.31% at 96.96.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.