U.S. shares mixed at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average down 0.06%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Thursday, as gains in the Healthcare , Basic Materials and Technology sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Utilities , Financials and Consumer Services sectors led shares lower.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average declined 0.06%, while the S&P 500 index declined 0.05%, and the NASDAQ Composite index climbed 0.04%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ), which rose 0.86% or 0.56 points to trade at 66.02 at the close. UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) added 0.85% or 1.58 points to end at 186.50 and Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ) was up 0.84% or 1.14 points to 136.05 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ), which lost 1.22% or 2.72 points to trade at 219.77 in late trade. Wal-Mart Stores Inc (NYSE: WMT ) declined 0.94% or 0.72 points to end at 75.52 and General Electric Company (NYSE: GE ) shed 0.83% or 0.23 points to 27.55.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Oracle Corporation (NYSE: ORCL ) which rose 8.57% to 50.30, Staples Inc (NASDAQ: SPLS ) which was up 6.24% to settle at 9.20 and CarMax Inc (NYSE: KMX ) which gained 4.62% to close at 62.50.
The worst performers were Accenture plc (NYSE: ACN ) which was down 3.96% to 122.08 in late trade, Dr Pepper Snapple Group Inc (NYSE: DPS ) which lost 3.63% to settle at 92.30 and Willis Towers Watson PLC (NASDAQ: WLTW ) which was down 2.39% to 145.05 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Sphere 3D Corp (NASDAQ: ANY ) which rose 58.47% to 0.256, FalconStor Software Inc (NASDAQ: FALC ) which was up 53.85% to settle at 0.380 and EnerNOC Inc (NASDAQ: ENOC ) which gained 41.67% to close at 7.65.
The worst performers were DryShips Inc (NASDAQ: DRYS ) which was down 33.41% to 2.83 in late trade, Marathon Patent Group Inc (NASDAQ: MARA ) which lost 27.54% to settle at 0.220 and Top Ships Inc (NASDAQ: TOPS ) which was down 21.95% to 0.1600 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1901 to 1328 and 30 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1440 rose and 1054 declined, while 119 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 2.79% to 10.45.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was up 0.46% or 5.72 to $1251.52 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in August rose 0.47% or 0.20 to hit $42.73 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract rose 0.89% or 0.40 to trade at $45.22 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.15% to 1.1151, while USD/JPY fell 0.06% to 111.32.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.03% at 97.25.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or