Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Thursday, as gains in the Technology , Financials and Consumer Services sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Utilities , Healthcare and Oil & Gas sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were International Business Machines (NYSE: IBM ), which rose 0.81% or 1.43 points to trade at 177.24 at the close. American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) added 0.68% or 0.54 points to end at 79.77 and Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) was up 0.58% or 1.44 points to 248.22 in late trade.
Biggest losers included E I du Pont de Nemours & Co (NYSE: DD ), which lost 1.08% or 0.88 points to trade at 80.61 in late trade. Chevron Corporation (NYSE: CVX ) declined 0.94% or 1.02 points to end at 107.86 and Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) shed 0.80% or 0.52 points to 64.18.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Oracle Corporation (NYSE: ORCL ) which rose 6.23% to 45.73, Frontier Communications Corporation (NASDAQ: FTR ) which was up 4.15% to settle at 2.51 and NRG Energy Inc (NYSE: NRG ) which gained 2.46% to close at 17.89.
The worst performers were Biogen Inc (NASDAQ: BIIB ) which was down 4.67% to 278.96 in late trade, Illumina Inc (NASDAQ: ILMN ) which lost 3.91% to settle at 159.46 and Newmont Mining Corporation (NYSE: NEM ) which was down 3.78% to 32.81 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were TOP SHIPS Inc (NASDAQ: TOPS ) which rose 109.52% to 2.2000, Globus Maritime Ltd (NASDAQ: GLBS ) which was up 56.02% to settle at 6.7400 and Innocoll AG (NASDAQ: INNL ) which gained 37.12% to close at 1.8775.
The worst performers were TrovaGene Inc (NASDAQ: TROV ) which was down 25.71% to 1.300 in late trade, Arotech Corporation (NASDAQ: ARTX ) which lost 25.61% to settle at 3.050 and Caredx Inc (NASDAQ: CDNA ) which was down 25.58% to 1.600 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1758 to 1477 and 33 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1496 rose and 1026 declined, while 82 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 3.61% to 11.21.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was up 2.14% or 25.65 to $1226.35 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in April fell 0.10% or 0.05 to hit $48.81 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract fell 0.10% or 0.05 to trade at $51.76 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.33% to 1.0767, while USD/JPY fell 0.11% to 113.26.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.28% at 100.08.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.