Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Friday, as gains in the Utilities , Telecoms and Basic Materials sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Financials , Healthcare and Consumer Goods sectors led shares lower.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ), which rose 1.08% or 2.05 points to trade at 192.36 at the close. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) added 1.07% or 1.91 points to end at 180.10 and United Technologies Corporation (NYSE: UTX ) was up 0.99% or 1.11 points to 113.45 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ), which lost 1.72% or 4.28 points to trade at 243.94 in late trade. JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) declined 1.05% or 0.96 points to end at 90.68 and UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) shed 0.93% or 1.60 points to 169.70.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Cintas Corporation (NASDAQ: CTAS ) which rose 4.72% to 124.87, Adobe Systems Incorporated (NASDAQ: ADBE ) which was up 3.81% to settle at 127.01 and Wynn Resorts Limited (NASDAQ: WYNN ) which gained 3.79% to close at 110.19.
The worst performers were Amgen Inc (NASDAQ: AMGN ) which was down 6.50% to 168.41 in late trade, Invesco Plc (NYSE: IVZ ) which lost 4.44% to settle at 31.23 and Franklin Resources Inc (NYSE: BEN ) which was down 3.85% to 42.22 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Pulmatrix Inc (NASDAQ: PULM ) which rose 35.08% to 3.161, Diffusion Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: DFFN ) which was up 28.98% to settle at 3.1600 and Northern Technologies (NASDAQ: NTIC ) which gained 22.93% to close at 19.30.
The worst performers were Innocoll AG (NASDAQ: INNL ) which was down 33.16% to 1.2500 in late trade, Bellerophon Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: BLPH ) which lost 30.41% to settle at 1.030 and Esperion Th (NASDAQ: ESPR ) which was down 20.17% to 23.67 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1934 to 1304 and 39 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1463 rose and 1053 declined, while 109 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 0.09% to 11.22.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was up 0.13% or 1.55 to $1228.65 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in April fell 0.04% or 0.02 to hit $48.73 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract unchanged 0.00% or 0.00 to trade at $51.74 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.28% to 1.0736, while USD/JPY fell 0.52% to 112.72.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.06% at 100.15.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.