U.S. shares mixed at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average down 0.11%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were mixed at the close on Friday, as gains in the Utilities , Technology and Basic Materials sectors propelled shares higher while losses in the Industrials , Financials and Consumer Services sectors led shares lower.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average declined 0.11%, while the S&P 500 index fell 0.15%, and the NASDAQ Composite index gained 0.09%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ), which rose 1.40% or 2.15 points to trade at 156.10 at the close. McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE: MCD ) added 0.80% or 1.15 points to end at 145.36 and Visa Inc (NYSE: V ) was up 0.68% or 0.63 points to 92.73 in late trade.
Biggest losers included General Electric Company (NYSE: GE ), which lost 2.08% or 0.60 points to trade at 28.27 in late trade. Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) declined 1.33% or 0.86 points to end at 63.57 and UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) shed 0.87% or 1.51 points to 171.81.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Wynn Resorts Limited (NASDAQ: WYNN ) which rose 2.50% to 125.29, Southwestern Energy Company (NYSE: SWN ) which was up 2.34% to settle at 7.66 and Broadcom Ltd (NASDAQ: AVGO ) which gained 2.08% to close at 235.90.
The worst performers were Nordstrom Inc (NYSE: JWN ) which was down 10.84% to 41.20 in late trade, Acuity Brands Inc (NYSE: AYI ) which lost 8.03% to settle at 173.43 and Urban Outfitters Inc (NASDAQ: URBN ) which was down 6.08% to 21.61 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Trade Desk Inc (NASDAQ: TTD ) which rose 30.11% to 51.90, NantKwest (NASDAQ: NK ) which was up 25.16% to settle at 3.98 and Tantech Holdings Ltd (NASDAQ: TANH ) which gained 24.71% to close at 2.31.
The worst performers were Capricor Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: CAPR ) which was down 61.97% to 1.1600 in late trade, Dextera Surgical Inc (NASDAQ: DXTR ) which lost 47.46% to settle at 0.2212 and Cellular Bi (NASDAQ: CBMG ) which was down 45.64% to 5.30 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1775 to 1412 and 46 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1510 fell and 1004 advanced, while 112 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 1.89% to 10.40.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was up 0.32% or 3.95 to $1228.15 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in June rose 0.13% or 0.06 to hit $47.89 a barrel, while the July Brent oil contract rose 0.22% or 0.11 to trade at $50.88 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.64% to 1.0931, while USD/JPY fell 0.51% to 113.29.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.47% at 99.06.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or