Jan 10 (Reuters) - Britain's FTSE 100 .FTSE index is expected to open down 4 points at 7,233 on Tuesday, according to financial bookmakers.
* The UK blue chip index touched a new record high of 7,243.76 points, then settled at 7,237.77 points, up 0.4 percent, for the close on Monday. It chalked up its tenth straight daily session of gains pushed up by rallying resource stocks and a weak sterling. TESCO: Tesco TSCO.L , Britain's biggest retailer, has proposed a shake-up of its distribution network that will result in the loss of a net 500 jobs, it said on Monday. CVC CAPITAL PARTNERS: Private equity firm CVC Capital Partners CVC.UL has hired Swiss bank UBS UBSG.S for the sale of its stake in Lecta, one of southern Europe's largest paper manufacturers, three sources close to the deal said. BHP: Brazilian miner Samarco and its shareholders Vale SA VALE5.SA and BHP Billiton BHP.AX , BLT.L have requested to extend until Jan. 19 a deadline to pay 1.2 billion reais ($375.39 million) in guarantees related to the collapse of a tailings dam in 2015, Vale said in a statement on Monday. BRITAIN ECONOMY: British retail sales picked up speed in December, an industry survey showed, but sales of bigger ticket items were sluggish, a possible early sign that consumers are bracing for a Brexit hit to their spending power. OIL: Oil markets edged higher on Tuesday on expectations that at least some planned production cuts would be implemented, making a slight recovery from big losses the previous day over doubts the agreed reductions would rebalance an oversupplied market. For more on the factors affecting European stocks, please click on: cpurl://apps.cp./cms/?pageId=livemarkets
* UK CORPORATE DIARY: WM Morrison Supermarket Plc
Christmas Trading Update Topps Tiles Plc
Q1 Trading Statement Galliford Try Plc
Half Year Trading Statement Big Yellow Group Plc
Q3 Statement Majestic Wine Plc
Christmas Trading Update Just Eat Plc
Full Year Order Update
TODAY'S UK PAPERS
> Financial Times
> Other business headlines
PRESS/GB Multimedia versions of Reuters Top News are now available for:
* 3000 Xtra
: visit http://topnews.session.rservices.com
* For Top News : http://topnews.reuters.com
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.