Jan 23 (Reuters) - Britain's FTSE 100 .FTSE index is seen opening down 31 points at 7,168 on Monday, according to financial bookmakers.
* The UK blue chip index slipped 0.14 percent to close at 7198.44 points on Friday, posting its biggest weekly loss since before Donald Trump won the U.S presidential election in November, as investors grew cautious before his inauguration. BOVIS/BERKELEY: Bovis Homes Group Plc BVS.L investor Schroder Investment Management SDR.L has written to Berkeley Group Holdings Plc BKGH.L , urging the London builder to consider an all-share merger with its smaller rival, the Sunday Times reported. SHELL: Saudi Basic Industries Corp (SABIC) 2010.SE has signed an agreement to acquire the 50 percent that it does not already own in its petrochemical venture with Shell Arabia, a unit of Royal Dutch Shell RDSa.L , for $820 million, SABIC said on Sunday. JOHNSTON PRESS: The interim chairman of newspaper publisher Johnston Press Plc JPR.L has asked Rothschild to examine refinancing options in an attempt to navigate the debt-saddled company through a potential financial crunch, the Telegraph reported on Sunday, citing City sources. UK REFERENDUM: Britain will on Monday outline a new, interventionist approach to balancing its heavily services-based economy for the post-Brexit era, seeking to reinvigorate industrial production and stimulate investment in technology and R&D. UK FINANCIAL SERVICES: Optimism about the business environment for Britain's financial services firms fell for a fourth consecutive quarter, according to a survey published on Monday, the longest decline since the global financial crisis. BREXIT: U.S. banks Morgan Stanley (NYSE: MS ) MS.N and Citigroup (NYSE: C ) C.N have identified many of the roles that will need to be moved from Britain following its exit from the European Union, sources involved in the processes told Reuters. OIL: Oil edged up on Monday on statements over the weekend from OPEC and other producers that they have been successfully implementing output cuts, but gains were limited by a surge in U.S. drilling. O/R
* For more on the factors affecting European stocks, please click on: cpurl://apps.cp./cms/?pageId=livemarkets
* UK CORPORATE DIARY: SThree PLC
Full Year 2016 Earnings Release Computacenter PLC
Q1 2016 Pre-Close Trading Statement Release
TODAY'S UK PAPERS
> Financial Times
> Other business headlines
PRESS/GB Multimedia versions of Reuters Top News are now available for:
* 3000 Xtra
: visit http://topnews.session.rservices.com
* For Top News : http://topnews.reuters.com
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.