* STOXX down 0.3 pct, DAX down 0.6 pct
* Henkel slides after announcing increased investments
* Air France, Fraport , boosted by broker upgrades
* Scout24 climbs after rejecting takeover bid (Adds closing prices)
By Helen Reid
LONDON, Jan 21 (Reuters) - European shares slipped on Monday from six-week highs after China's fourth-quarter growth figures confirmed a slowdown in the world's second-biggest economy, with 2018 its weakest year since 1990.
"Even with the Chinese data dump that greeted the European markets at Monday's open, the session turned out to be a bit of a snooze, lacking an injection of energy from the U.S.," Connor Campbell, an analyst at Spreadex, said.
German chemicals firm Henkel HNKG_p.DE was the biggest STOXX 600 faller, down about 10 percent, after the maker of Schwarzkopf shampoo and Persil detergent warned earnings would fall this year as it steps up investment in brands and digital technology to try to revive growth. quarter earnings such as Henkel are beginning to flow in but some analysts expect stocks to react positively overall as sharp recent selloffs had sunk valuations.
"I am not too pessimistic," said Christian Stocker, lead equity strategist at UniCredit in Munich. "We saw very negative earnings revisions in Q4 and now the expectations are very, very low."
Stocker expects fourth-quarter earnings to grow 5 percent year-on-year, and sees potential in the first quarter for the EuroSTOXX 50 to rise to around 3,250 points, for the DAX around 11,500 and for the FTSE MIB to 20,200.
"As long as we have low but positive earnings growth I think we have a solid basis for the equity market," he added.
Shares in online classifieds firm Scout24 G24n.DE climbed 2.1 percent after it rejected a 4.7 billion euro ($5.4 billion)takeover offer from private equity firms Hellman & Friedman and Blackstone (NYSE: BX ), potentially paving the way for a bidding war.
"We think Scout was right to reject the offer," Liberum analysts said, adding that the bid valued the firm at just more than 14 times adjusted EBITDA, below the 19 times Silver Lake paid for ZPG last year.
"We would expect other bidders to now emerge for the asset."
Elsewhere, broker notes moved some stocks: Air France AIRF.PA shares rose 5.2 percent after Davy Research upgraded the airline to outperform, while Fraport FRAG.DE gained 3.1 percent after Goldman Sachs (NYSE: GS ) raised it to neutral from sell.
<^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Earnings revisions Jan 21
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.