The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ), which rose 1.89% or 3.84 points to trade at 206.92 at the close. JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) added 1.44% or 1.65 points to end at 116.12 and Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ) was up 1.34% or 0.71 points to 53.56 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ), which lost 2.52% or 1.32 points to trade at 51.11 in late trade. Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ) declined 1.02% or 1.08 points to end at 104.78 and Pfizer Inc (NYSE: PFE ) shed 0.95% or 0.38 points to 39.59.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Ingersoll-Rand PLC (NYSE: IR ) which rose 6.50% to 120.46, Archer-Daniels-Midland Company (NYSE: ADM ) which was up 5.77% to settle at 43.27 and Mattel Inc (NASDAQ: MAT ) which gained 3.05% to close at 12.51.
The worst performers were CH Robinson Worldwide Inc (NASDAQ: CHRW ) which was down 7.58% to 81.11 in late trade, Coty Inc (NYSE: COTY ) which lost 3.55% to settle at 10.86 and Weyerhaeuser Company (NYSE: WY ) which was down 3.32% to 26.46 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Trans World Entertainment Corp (NASDAQ: TWMC ) which rose 46.86% to 0.440, Alterity Therapeutics Ltd (NASDAQ: ATHE ) which was up 33.85% to settle at 1.7400 and Changyoucom Limited (NASDAQ: CYOU ) which gained 21.18% to close at 19.57.
The worst performers were Silicom Ltd (NASDAQ: SILC ) which was down 18.49% to 31.79 in late trade, Innovate Biopharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: INNT ) which lost 14.74% to settle at 1.62 and Tiziana Life Sciences PLC ADR (NASDAQ: TLSA ) which was down 14.02% to 7.74 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1766 to 1219 and 103 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1559 rose and 1063 declined, while 99 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 2.99% to 13.11.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was down 0.55% or 7.15 to $1281.65 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in June rose 0.49% or 0.31 to hit $63.61 a barrel, while the July Brent oil contract fell 0.01% or 0.01 to trade at $71.52 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.02% to 1.1187, while USD/JPY rose 0.03% to 111.67.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.15% at 97.578.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.