The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ), which rose 2.98% or 4.98 points to trade at 172.03 at the close. Exxon Mobil Corp (NYSE: XOM ) added 2.20% or 1.50 points to end at 69.69 and DowDuPont Inc (NYSE: DWDP ) was up 1.94% or 1.04 points to 54.52 in late trade.
Biggest losers included UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ), which lost 2.26% or 5.63 points to trade at 243.49 in late trade. The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ) declined 1.99% or 2.38 points to end at 117.37 and Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) shed 1.07% or 0.82 points to 75.59.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Arconic Inc (NYSE: ARNC ) which rose 10.08% to 18.56, General Electric Company (NYSE: GE ) which was up 6.34% to settle at 8.05 and Coty Inc (NYSE: COTY ) which gained 5.95% to close at 6.95.
The worst performers were Hologic Inc (NASDAQ: HOLX ) which was down 6.52% to 38.42 in late trade, Abbott Laboratories (NYSE: ABT ) which lost 3.91% to settle at 69.50 and NRG Energy Inc (NYSE: NRG ) which was down 3.76% to 38.11 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Synergy Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: SGYP ) which rose 93.15% to 0.220, Aoxin Tianli Group Inc (NASDAQ: ABAC ) which was up 46.24% to settle at 1.3600 and Advaxis Inc (NASDAQ: ADXS ) which gained 55.26% to close at 0.29.
The worst performers were Francescas Holdings (NASDAQ: FRAN ) which was down 22.02% to 0.76 in late trade, Uxin Ltd (NASDAQ: UXIN ) which lost 20.16% to settle at 3.88 and Draper Oakwood Technology Acquisition Inc Class A (NASDAQ: RBZ ) which was down 17.31% to 1.72 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2185 to 910 and 48 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1950 rose and 728 declined, while 43 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 8.65% to 23.22.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was up 0.29% or 3.75 to $1285.05 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in February rose 2.64% or 1.20 to hit $46.61 a barrel, while the March Brent oil contract rose 2.34% or 1.26 to trade at $55.06 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 1.03% to 1.1343, while USD/JPY fell 0.56% to 109.09.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.69% at 96.395.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.