The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CSCO ), which rose 1.62% or 0.51 points to trade at 31.99 at the close. Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) added 1.33% or 1.54 points to end at 117.55 and Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) was up 1.31% or 0.96 points to 74.01 in late trade.
Biggest losers included The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ), which lost 0.98% or 1.20 points to trade at 121.81 in late trade. Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ) declined 0.86% or 1.14 points to end at 131.07 and Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ) shed 0.80% or 0.39 points to 48.12.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Incyte Corporation (NASDAQ: INCY ) which rose 10.64% to 138.27, Gilead Sciences Inc (NASDAQ: GILD ) which was up 7.25% to settle at 81.23 and Martin Marietta Materials Inc (NYSE: MLM ) which gained 5.41% to close at 213.80.
The worst performers were H&R Block Inc (NYSE: HRB ) which was down 8.28% to 26.81 in late trade, Freeport-McMoran Copper & Gold Inc (NYSE: FCX ) which lost 4.27% to settle at 14.56 and Southwestern Energy Company (NYSE: SWN ) which was down 2.48% to 5.30 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were One Horizon Group Inc (NASDAQ: OHGI ) which rose 68.49% to 1.2300, Meridian Waste Solutions Inc (NASDAQ: MRDN ) which was up 30.91% to settle at 1.44 and LiNiu Technology Group (NASDAQ: LINU ) which gained 29.64% to close at 2.165.
The worst performers were Otonomy Inc (NASDAQ: OTIC ) which was down 82.81% to 3.58 in late trade, Roka Bioscience Inc (NASDAQ: ROKA ) which lost 33.11% to settle at 1.0100 and root9B Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: RTNB ) which was down 26.20% to 1.6900 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1884 to 1214 and 138 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1534 rose and 929 declined, while 164 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 4.27% to 11.20.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 0.42% or 5.56 to $1313.34 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in October fell 0.99% or 0.46 to hit $45.98 a barrel, while the November Brent oil contract fell 1.99% or 1.03 to trade at $50.63 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.73% to 1.1885, while USD/JPY rose 0.58% to 110.34.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.64% at 92.86.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.