The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CSCO ), which rose 1.55% or 0.63 points to trade at 41.23 at the close. Wal-Mart Stores Inc (NYSE: WMT ) added 1.44% or 1.43 points to end at 100.98 and Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) was up 1.10% or 1.68 points to 153.97 in late trade.
Biggest losers included DowDuPont Inc (NYSE: DWDP ), which lost 1.52% or 1.09 points to trade at 70.75 in late trade. United Technologies Corporation (NYSE: UTX ) declined 1.26% or 1.61 points to end at 125.77 and General Electric Company (NYSE: GE ) shed 1.01% or 0.15 points to 14.67.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Under Armour Inc A (NYSE: UAA ) which rose 17.36% to 16.70, Under Armour Inc C (NYSE: UA ) which was up 16.01% to settle at 15.290 and AmerisourceBergen (NYSE: ABC ) which gained 9.30% to close at 97.77.
The worst performers were Brighthouse Financial Inc (NASDAQ: BHF ) which was down 8.02% to 53.56 in late trade, Henry Schein Inc (NASDAQ: HSIC ) which lost 6.64% to settle at 67.39 and Mattel Inc (NASDAQ: MAT ) which was down 5.76% to 16.36 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Zion Oil & Gas Inc (NASDAQ: ZN ) which rose 86.96% to 4.300, WMIH Corp (NASDAQ: WMIH ) which was up 54.52% to settle at 1.2300 and Aqua Metals Inc (NASDAQ: AQMS ) which gained 36.36% to close at 3.00.
The worst performers were Dare Bioscience Inc (NASDAQ: DARE ) which was down 39.78% to 1.680 in late trade, Helios and Matheson Analytics Inc (NASDAQ: HMNY ) which lost 32.04% to settle at 5.430 and Aytu BioScience Inc (NASDAQ: AYTU ) which was down 26.26% to 1.3200 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1764 to 1344 and 106 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1478 rose and 1025 declined, while 160 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 2.26% to 25.03.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was up 0.40% or 5.30 to $1331.70 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in March fell 0.20% or 0.12 to hit $59.17 a barrel, while the April Brent oil contract rose 0.24% or 0.15 to trade at $62.74 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.50% to 1.2354, while USD/JPY fell 0.77% to 107.82.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.47% at 89.59.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.