The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ), which rose 1.62% or 1.85 points to trade at 115.94 at the close. DowDuPont Inc (NYSE: DWDP ) added 1.41% or 0.94 points to end at 67.76 and Pfizer Inc (NYSE: PFE ) was up 1.23% or 0.50 points to 41.04 in late trade.
Biggest losers included International Business Machines (NYSE: IBM ), which lost 1.13% or 1.67 points to trade at 146.03 in late trade. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) declined 0.54% or 1.87 points to end at 346.57 and 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ) shed 0.28% or 0.59 points to 206.70.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Jacobs Engineering Group Inc (NYSE: JEC ) which rose 7.78% to 72.31, DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH ) which was up 5.85% to settle at 36.20 and Chesapeake Energy Corporation (NYSE: CHK ) which gained 5.38% to close at 4.700.
The worst performers were Newell Brands Inc (NYSE: NWL ) which was down 14.34% to 22.76 in late trade, Praxair Inc (NYSE: PX ) which lost 3.81% to settle at 157.96 and Kraft Heinz Co (NASDAQ: KHC ) which was down 3.38% to 62.30 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Cherokee Inc (NASDAQ: CHKE ) which rose 112.22% to 0.95, Wins Finance Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: WINS ) which was up 82.68% to settle at 60.98 and Protagonist Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: PTGX ) which gained 58.63% to close at 11.12.
The worst performers were Pain Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: PTIE ) which was down 48.13% to 1.250 in late trade, Ovid Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: OVID ) which lost 36.13% to settle at 6.08 and Restoration Robotics Inc (NASDAQ: HAIR ) which was down 28.62% to 2.02 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 72 to 48 and 8 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 0 fell and 0 advanced on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 2.57% to 10.98 a new 6-month low.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 0.26% or 3.20 to $1220.90 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in September rose 0.75% or 0.52 to hit $69.53 a barrel, while the October Brent oil contract rose 1.14% or 0.84 to trade at $74.59 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.40% to 1.1600, while USD/JPY fell 0.31% to 111.06.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.34% at 94.87.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.