U.S. shares higher at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average up 0.18%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were higher at the close on Friday, as gains in the Oil & Gas , Basic Materials and Consumer Goods sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average added 0.18%, while the S&P 500 index gained 0.20%, and the NASDAQ Composite index climbed 0.10%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were General Electric Company (NYSE: GE ), which rose 2.40% or 0.59 points to trade at 25.14 at the close. Chevron Corporation (NYSE: CVX ) added 1.06% or 1.14 points to end at 108.76 and Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ) was up 1.04% or 0.55 points to 53.36 in late trade.
Biggest losers included United Technologies Corporation (NYSE: UTX ), which lost 1.50% or 1.80 points to trade at 117.92 in late trade. Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) declined 1.11% or 0.83 points to end at 73.94 and The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ) shed 1.06% or 1.28 points to 119.90.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Cabot Oil & Gas Corporation (NYSE: COG ) which rose 5.17% to 26.87, Transocean Ltd (NYSE: RIG ) which was up 4.90% to settle at 8.56 and Southwestern Energy Company (NYSE: SWN ) which gained 4.22% to close at 5.68.
The worst performers were Cooper Companies Inc (NYSE: COO ) which was down 5.84% to 236.18 in late trade, Electronic Arts Inc (NASDAQ: EA ) which lost 1.80% to settle at 119.31 and Progressive Corporation (NYSE: PGR ) which was down 1.76% to 45.66 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Aptevo Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: APVO ) which rose 58.65% to 2.110, Neovasc Inc (NASDAQ: NVCN ) which was up 44.30% to settle at 1.140 and TRACON Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: TCON ) which gained 26.00% to close at 3.15.
The worst performers were Ambarella Inc (NASDAQ: AMBA ) which was down 22.40% to 42.215 in late trade, Tech Data Corporation (NASDAQ: TECD ) which lost 20.70% to settle at 87.46 and Cadiz Inc (NASDAQ: CDZI ) which was down 20.49% to 9.70 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2166 to 919 and 146 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1598 rose and 860 declined, while 173 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 4.44% to 10.12.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 0.64% or 8.52 to $1330.72 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in October rose 0.21% or 0.10 to hit $47.33 a barrel, while the November Brent oil contract fell 0.23% or 0.12 to trade at $52.74 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.39% to 1.1863, while USD/JPY rose 0.26% to 110.27.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.22% at 92.79.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or