The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Chevron Corporation (NYSE: CVX ), which rose 1.50% or 1.69 points to trade at 114.18 at the close. DowDuPont Inc (NYSE: DWDP ) added 1.43% or 0.98 points to end at 69.50 and Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ) was up 0.98% or 0.46 points to 47.25 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ), which lost 1.08% or 1.31 points to trade at 119.63 in late trade. Pfizer Inc (NYSE: PFE ) declined 0.88% or 0.31 points to end at 35.06 and The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ) shed 0.79% or 0.97 points to 121.51.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Centene Corporation (NYSE: CNC ) which rose 8.01% to 98.16, Nordstrom Inc (NYSE: JWN ) which was up 5.97% to settle at 47.74 and Chesapeake Energy Corporation (NYSE: CHK ) which gained 5.35% to close at 3.940.
The worst performers were Equifax Inc (NYSE: EFX ) which was down 14.63% to 98.99 in late trade, Henry Schein Inc (NASDAQ: HSIC ) which lost 4.00% to settle at 168.88 and Western Digital Corporation (NASDAQ: WDC ) which was down 3.42% to 85.74 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Net Element Inc (NASDAQ: NETE ) which rose 119.78% to 0.6000, LM Funding America Inc (NASDAQ: LMFA ) which was up 79.65% to settle at 2.03 and Rentech Inc (NASDAQ: RTK ) which gained 27.68% to close at 0.346.
The worst performers were Pulse Biosciences Inc (NASDAQ: PLSE ) which was down 25.60% to 10.260 in late trade, Delcath Systems Inc (NASDAQ: DCTH ) which lost 19.44% to settle at 0.0999 and Applied Genetic (NASDAQ: AGTC ) which was down 18.18% to 4.05 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1601 to 1454 and 166 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1394 rose and 1076 declined, while 168 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 0.47% to 10.53.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 0.43% or 5.78 to $1326.92 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in October rose 2.24% or 1.08 to hit $49.31 a barrel, while the November Brent oil contract rose 1.51% or 0.82 to trade at $55.09 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.66% to 1.1887, while USD/JPY rose 0.39% to 110.58.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.57% at 92.41.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.