The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ), which rose 3.54% or 4.42 points to trade at 129.11 at the close. DowDuPont Inc (NYSE: DWDP ) added 2.04% or 1.34 points to end at 67.06 and United Technologies Corporation (NYSE: UTX ) was up 1.34% or 1.73 points to 130.71 in late trade.
Biggest losers included UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ), which lost 2.60% or 6.69 points to trade at 250.29 in late trade. International Business Machines (NYSE: IBM ) declined 1.35% or 1.97 points to end at 143.49 and Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) shed 0.87% or 1.07 points to 121.91.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Perrigo Co (NYSE: PRGO ) which rose 3.98% to 78.03, The Charles Schwab Corporation (NYSE: SCHW ) which was up 3.56% to settle at 52.88 and Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ) which gained 3.54% to close at 129.11.
The worst performers were Omnicom Group Inc (NYSE: OMC ) which was down 9.49% to 70.69 in late trade, Interpublic Group of Companies Inc (NYSE: IPG ) which lost 6.08% to settle at 22.26 and Netflix Inc (NASDAQ: NFLX ) which was down 5.24% to 379.48 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Ameri Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: AMRH ) which rose 47.46% to 1.74, Riot Blockchain Inc (NASDAQ: RIOT ) which was up 37.64% to settle at 6.2900 and Champions Oncology Inc (NASDAQ: CSBR ) which gained 25.43% to close at 7.3000.
The worst performers were Alliance MMA Inc (NASDAQ: AMMA ) which was down 31.09% to 0.20 in late trade, MER Telemanagement Solutions Ltd (NASDAQ: MTSL ) which lost 27.46% to settle at 2.0600 and AVEO Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: AVEO ) which was down 24.21% to 2.1600 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1755 to 1273 and 130 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1443 rose and 1121 declined, while 126 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 6.16% to 12.04.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was down 0.95% or 11.80 to $1227.90 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in September rose 0.04% or 0.03 to hit $67.10 a barrel, while the September Brent oil contract rose 0.22% or 0.16 to trade at $72.00 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.41% to 1.1662, while USD/JPY rose 0.50% to 112.85.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.48% at 94.72.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.