The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which rose 1.67% or 6.26 points to trade at 381.72 at the close. Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) added 1.27% or 1.78 points to end at 142.03 and Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) was up 1.25% or 0.72 points to 58.50 in late trade.
Biggest losers included UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ), which lost 4.01% or 9.24 points to trade at 220.96 in late trade. Pfizer Inc (NYSE: PFE ) declined 2.78% or 1.17 points to end at 40.92 and Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ) shed 1.62% or 2.14 points to 129.90.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Qualcomm Incorporated (NASDAQ: QCOM ) which rose 23.21% to 70.45, Progressive Corp (NYSE: PGR ) which was up 6.92% to settle at 77.26 and Omnicom Group Inc (NYSE: OMC ) which gained 5.66% to close at 81.25.
The worst performers were HCA Holdings Inc (NYSE: HCA ) which was down 10.00% to 114.38 in late trade, Cigna Corp (NYSE: CI ) which lost 7.80% to settle at 151.04 and Humana Inc (NYSE: HUM ) which was down 7.44% to 235.10 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were 360 Finance Inc (NASDAQ: QFIN ) which rose 31.92% to 22.69, Iconix Brand Group Inc (NASDAQ: ICON ) which was up 26.14% to settle at 1.93 and Jaguar Health Inc (NASDAQ: JAGX ) which gained 25.84% to close at 0.280.
The worst performers were Uxin Ltd (NASDAQ: UXIN ) which was down 36.07% to 1.95 in late trade, Chinanet Online Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: CNET ) which lost 33.33% to settle at 1.4600 and Wave Life Sciences Ltd (NASDAQ: WVE ) which was down 28.07% to 24.47 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1566 to 1405 and 118 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1468 rose and 1168 declined, while 90 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 1.14% to 12.18.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was down 0.92% or 11.85 to $1279.45 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in May rose 1.45% or 0.92 to hit $64.32 a barrel, while the June Brent oil contract rose 0.06% or 0.04 to trade at $71.90 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.08% to 1.1289, while USD/JPY rose 0.01% to 112.00.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.17% at 96.722.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.