The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ), which rose 1.87% or 1.42 points to trade at 77.18 at the close. Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ) added 1.47% or 1.51 points to end at 103.98 and The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ) was up 1.19% or 1.55 points to 131.32 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ), which lost 1.49% or 0.83 points to trade at 55.05 in late trade. Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) declined 0.91% or 1.76 points to end at 191.70 and Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ) shed 0.75% or 0.64 points to 84.31.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Monster Beverage 1990 Corp (NASDAQ: MNST ) which rose 5.02% to 55.48, Allergan Plc (NYSE: AGN ) which was up 4.34% to settle at 170.35 and DR Horton Inc (NYSE: DHI ) which gained 4.12% to close at 44.19.
The worst performers were Wyndham Destinations Inc (NYSE: WYND ) which was down 3.02% to 48.24 in late trade, Skyworks Solutions Inc (NASDAQ: SWKS ) which lost 2.61% to settle at 99.81 and Broadcom Inc (NASDAQ: AVGO ) which was down 2.54% to 257.97 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were EDAP TMS SA (NASDAQ: EDAP ) which rose 62.90% to 3.600, TapImmune Inc (NASDAQ: TPIV ) which was up 51.26% to settle at 9.0000 and Stitch Fix (NASDAQ: SFIX ) which gained 26.49% to close at 24.88.
The worst performers were Trovagene Inc (NASDAQ: TROV ) which was down 48.02% to 0.920 in late trade, Evolus Inc (NASDAQ: EOLS ) which lost 17.46% to settle at 25.57 and SenesTech Inc (NASDAQ: SNES ) which was down 15.06% to 1.41 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1757 to 1305 and 124 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1275 rose and 1263 declined, while 129 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 0.25% to 12.16.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was unchanged 0.00% or 0.00 to $1303.00 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in July fell 0.50% or 0.33 to hit $65.62 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract fell 1.19% or 0.92 to trade at $76.40 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.25% to 1.1770, while USD/JPY fell 0.21% to 109.47.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.12% at 93.54.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.