The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ), which rose 1.72% or 0.78 points to trade at 46.20 at the close. Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CSCO ) added 1.67% or 0.60 points to end at 36.50 and Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) was up 1.62% or 2.71 points to 170.45 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ), which lost 1.99% or 1.10 points to trade at 54.10 in late trade. General Electric Company (NYSE: GE ) declined 1.26% or 0.23 points to end at 17.98 and Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ) shed 0.67% or 0.69 points to 102.75.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Delphi Automotive plc (NYSE: DLPH ) which rose 3.49% to 102.14, NetApp Inc (NASDAQ: NTAP ) which was up 3.36% to settle at 54.73 and Micron Technology Inc (NASDAQ: MU ) which gained 3.21% to close at 47.64.
The worst performers were Incyte Corporation (NASDAQ: INCY ) which was down 6.18% to 98.95 in late trade, Cardinal Health Inc (NYSE: CAH ) which lost 4.36% to settle at 55.00 and Range Resources Corporation (NYSE: RRC ) which was down 4.05% to 17.30 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Acasti Pharma Inc (NASDAQ: ACST ) which rose 144.08% to 3.100, OptimumBank Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: OPHC ) which was up 57.20% to settle at 7.750 and Real Industry Inc (NASDAQ: RELY ) which gained 45.92% to close at 0.52.
The worst performers were Micronet Enertec Technologies Inc (NASDAQ: MICT ) which was down 19.11% to 0.995 in late trade, CHF Solutions Inc (NASDAQ: CHFS ) which lost 19.04% to settle at 8.120 and TDH Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: PETZ ) which was down 18.57% to 9.78 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1791 to 1297 and 133 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1543 rose and 987 declined, while 118 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 7.00% to 10.63.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 1.47% or 19.07 to $1277.43 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in January fell 0.55% or 0.31 to hit $56.40 a barrel, while the January Brent oil contract fell 0.89% or 0.56 to trade at $62.16 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.48% to 1.1734, while USD/JPY rose 0.50% to 112.65.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.41% at 93.99.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.