The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Chevron Corporation (NYSE: CVX ), which rose 3.40% or 4.11 points to trade at 125.00 at the close. Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) added 2.44% or 6.22 points to end at 261.40 and Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ) was up 1.73% or 1.10 points to 64.69 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ), which lost 1.85% or 0.88 points to trade at 46.68 in late trade. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) declined 0.89% or 2.64 points to end at 295.26 and 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ) shed 0.86% or 2.04 points to 234.88.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Envision Healthcare Corp (NYSE: EVHC ) which rose 6.16% to 34.63, Charter Communications Inc (NASDAQ: CHTR ) which was up 5.75% to settle at 334.58 and Discovery Communications C Inc (NASDAQ: DISCK ) which gained 5.42% to close at 22.27.
The worst performers were Pacific Gas & Electric Co (NYSE: PCG ) which was down 13.72% to 44.11 in late trade, Scana Corporation (NYSE: SCG ) which lost 9.08% to settle at 37.57 and Edison International (NYSE: EIX ) which was down 7.52% to 63.16 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Long Island Iced Tea Corp (NASDAQ: LTEA ) which rose 185.66% to 6.97, SAExploration Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: SAEX ) which was up 54.76% to settle at 1.950 and AEterna Zentaris Inc (NASDAQ: AEZS ) which gained 38.85% to close at 2.791.
The worst performers were Wins Finance Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: WINS ) which was down 56.96% to 154.95 in late trade, Genetic Technologies Ltd (NASDAQ: GENE ) which lost 33.62% to settle at 1.155 and LongFin Corp Class A (NASDAQ: LFIN ) which was down 33.17% to 45.78 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2035 to 1105 and 37 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1687 rose and 861 declined, while 88 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 2.37% to 9.49.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was up 0.15% or 1.90 to $1271.50 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in February rose 0.24% or 0.14 to hit $58.23 a barrel, while the February Brent oil contract rose 0.20% or 0.13 to trade at $64.69 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.01% to 1.1873, while USD/JPY fell 0.07% to 113.32.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.10% at 92.85.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.