U.S. shares higher at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average up 0.36%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were higher at the close on Thursday, as gains in the Basic Materials , Industrials and Financials sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average gained 0.36%, while the S&P 500 index climbed 0.36%, and the NASDAQ Composite index gained 0.34%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ), which rose 1.14% or 0.95 points to trade at 84.04 at the close. JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) added 1.13% or 1.13 points to end at 100.71 and McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE: MCD ) was up 1.00% or 1.88 points to 189.39 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ), which lost 2.96% or 1.80 points to trade at 59.08 in late trade. Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) declined 0.09% or 0.05 points to end at 53.11 and Coca-Cola Company (NYSE: KO ) shed 0.06% or 0.03 points to 46.58.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were PVH Corp (NYSE: PVH ) which rose 14.76% to 127.26, Accenture plc (NYSE: ACN ) which was up 5.20% to settle at 175.12 and Pioneer Natural Resources Company (NYSE: PXD ) which gained 4.14% to close at 152.91.
The worst performers were Nielsen Holdings PLC (NYSE: NLSN ) which was down 11.15% to 23.66 in late trade, Lennar Corporation (NYSE: LEN ) which lost 3.70% to settle at 49.76 and Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ) which was down 2.96% to 59.08 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Euro Tech Holdings Company Limited (NASDAQ: CLWT ) which rose 102.06% to 6.850, Tricida Inc (NASDAQ: TCDA ) which was up 57.04% to settle at 37.80 and China Internet Nationwide Financial Services Inc (NASDAQ: CIFS ) which gained 46.93% to close at 4.07.
The worst performers were Proteon Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: PRTO ) which was down 85.60% to 0.50 in late trade, Reebonz Holding Ltd (NASDAQ: RBZ ) which lost 48.89% to settle at 14.31 and Osmotica Pharmaceuticals PLC (NASDAQ: OSMT ) which was down 40.73% to 4.00 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1977 to 1004 and 120 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1692 rose and 943 declined, while 83 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 4.75% to 14.43.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was down 1.61% or 21.25 to $1295.65 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in May unchanged 0.00% or 0.00 to hit $59.41 a barrel, while the June Brent oil contract fell 0.07% or 0.05 to trade at $67.19 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.20% to 1.1224, while USD/JPY rose 0.09% to 110.61.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.52% at 96.787.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or