U.S. shares higher at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average up 0.37%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were higher at the close on Tuesday, as gains in the Telecoms , Consumer Services and Basic Materials sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average added 0.37% to hit a new all time high, while the S&P 500 index climbed 0.22%, and the NASDAQ Composite index gained 0.23%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ), which rose 0.99% or 0.49 points to trade at 49.85 at the close. American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) added 0.98% or 0.89 points to end at 91.43 and Wal-Mart Stores Inc (NYSE: WMT ) was up 0.98% or 0.77 points to 79.22 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ), which lost 0.77% or 0.40 points to trade at 51.47 in late trade. Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) declined 0.47% or 0.35 points to end at 74.26 and Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) shed 0.28% or 0.18 points to 64.37.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Delta Air Lines Inc (NYSE: DAL ) which rose 6.62% to 51.25, United Continental Holdings Inc (NYSE: UAL ) which was up 6.14% to settle at 64.14 and American Airlines Group (NASDAQ: AAL ) which gained 5.82% to close at 50.51.
The worst performers were F5 Networks Inc (NASDAQ: FFIV ) which was down 4.77% to 117.82 in late trade, Hanesbrands Inc (NYSE: HBI ) which lost 4.48% to settle at 23.86 and Urban Outfitters Inc (NASDAQ: URBN ) which was down 3.67% to 23.11 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Celsion Corp (NASDAQ: CLSN ) which rose 301.32% to 6.060, Medical Transcription Billing Corp (NASDAQ: MTBC ) which was up 109.27% to settle at 3.1600 and Xenetic Biosciences Inc (NASDAQ: XBIO ) which gained 89.39% to close at 3.390.
The worst performers were Tile Shop Hldgs Inc (NASDAQ: TTS ) which was down 35.98% to 8.450 in late trade, Fuling Global Inc (NASDAQ: FORK ) which lost 14.89% to settle at 4.000 and Avinger Inc (NASDAQ: AVGR ) which was down 14.81% to 0.30 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1722 to 1341 and 161 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1296 rose and 1212 declined, while 136 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 1.27% to 9.57.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 0.17% or 2.16 to $1273.96 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in November fell 0.20% or 0.10 to hit $50.36 a barrel, while the December Brent oil contract fell 0.39% or 0.22 to trade at $55.90 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.14% to 1.1748, while USD/JPY rose 0.09% to 112.86.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.07% at 93.41.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or