U.S. shares higher at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average up 0.42%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were higher at the close on Monday, as gains in the Oil & Gas , Basic Materials and Technology sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 0.42% to hit a new 5-year high, while the S&P 500 index added 0.37%, and the NASDAQ Composite index climbed 0.56%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ), which rose 4.61% or 5.36 points to trade at 121.57 at the close. Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ) added 3.96% or 2.27 points to end at 59.65 and Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) was up 3.56% or 1.86 points to 54.17 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ), which lost 3.88% or 4.80 points to trade at 119.07 in late trade. McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE: MCD ) declined 2.72% or 5.28 points to end at 188.66 and Coca-Cola Company (NYSE: KO ) shed 1.41% or 0.76 points to 53.14.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Cimarex Energy Co (NYSE: XEC ) which rose 7.03% to 47.07, Pioneer Natural Resources Co (NYSE: PXD ) which was up 6.66% to settle at 136.06 and Devon Energy Corporation (NYSE: DVN ) which gained 6.61% to close at 22.57.
The worst performers were Under Armour Inc A (NYSE: UAA ) which was down 18.92% to 17.14 in late trade, Under Armour Inc C (NYSE: UA ) which lost 18.35% to settle at 15.440 and PulteGroup Inc (NYSE: PHM ) which was down 4.70% to 38.15 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Asta Funding Inc (NASDAQ: ASFI ) which rose 46.47% to 10.18, Wright Medical Group NV (NASDAQ: WMGI ) which was up 31.94% to settle at 29.04 and Agile Thrpe (NASDAQ: AGRX ) which gained 31.85% to close at 1.78.
The worst performers were iFresh Inc (NASDAQ: IFMK ) which was down 56.00% to 0.77 in late trade, AVEO Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: AVEO ) which lost 36.68% to settle at 0.5665 and Ceragon Networks Ltd (NASDAQ: CRNT ) which was down 35.47% to 1.910 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1775 to 1047 and 102 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1610 rose and 1015 declined, while 83 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 4.31% to 12.83.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 0.20% or 3.00 to $1508.95 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in December rose 0.09% or 0.05 to hit $56.58 a barrel, while the January Brent oil contract rose 0.73% or 0.45 to trade at $62.14 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.02% to 1.1128, while USD/JPY rose 0.13% to 108.70.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.32% at 97.347.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or