The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ), which rose 2.53% or 5.52 points to trade at 223.85 at the close. Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) added 1.70% or 1.86 points to end at 111.24 and Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) was up 1.50% or 3.16 points to 213.85 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ), which lost 2.96% or 1.37 points to trade at 44.93 in late trade. Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ) declined 0.98% or 1.08 points to end at 109.60 and Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) shed 0.73% or 1.70 points to 230.21.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Activision Blizzard Inc (NASDAQ: ATVI ) which rose 7.06% to 79.50, United Rentals Inc (NYSE: URI ) which was up 5.24% to settle at 168.38 and CenturyLink Inc (NYSE: CTL ) which gained 3.21% to close at 22.51.
The worst performers were AmerisourceBergen (NYSE: ABC ) which was down 4.79% to 84.10 in late trade, Western Digital Corporation (NASDAQ: WDC ) which lost 3.63% to settle at 54.98 and Broadcom Inc (NASDAQ: AVGO ) which was down 3.35% to 232.55 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Agile Thrpe (NASDAQ: AGRX ) which rose 116.83% to 0.67, Auris Medical Holding AG (NASDAQ: EARS ) which was up 60.90% to settle at 0.435 and Sphere 3D Corp (NASDAQ: ANY ) which gained 43.67% to close at 0.380.
The worst performers were USA Technologies Inc (NASDAQ: USAT ) which was down 39.87% to 9.200 in late trade, Francescas Holdings (NASDAQ: FRAN ) which lost 34.47% to settle at 3.86 and Sonos Inc (NASDAQ: SONO ) which was down 22.03% to 16.56 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1540 to 1495 and 129 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1415 fell and 1147 advanced, while 146 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 6.29% to 13.27.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 0.24% or 2.90 to $1202.70 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in October rose 2.77% or 1.87 to hit $69.41 a barrel, while the November Brent oil contract rose 2.35% or 1.82 to trade at $79.19 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.03% to 1.1597, while USD/JPY rose 0.41% to 111.58.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.02% at 95.10.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.