The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ), which rose 2.50% or 1.48 points to trade at 60.65 at the close. Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ) added 2.23% or 1.82 points to end at 83.52 and Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) was up 2.00% or 3.40 points to 173.22 in late trade.
Biggest losers included United Technologies Corporation (NYSE: UTX ), which lost 4.14% or 5.30 points to trade at 122.68 in late trade. Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ) declined 0.85% or 0.62 points to end at 72.09 and DowDuPont Inc (NYSE: DWDP ) shed 0.83% or 0.48 points to 57.18.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Pacific Gas & Electric Co (NYSE: PCG ) which rose 7.36% to 26.97, Advanced Micro Devices Inc (NASDAQ: AMD ) which was up 4.83% to settle at 21.05 and Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: VRTX ) which gained 4.81% to close at 175.45.
The worst performers were Chesapeake Energy Corporation (NYSE: CHK ) which was down 5.08% to 2.990 in late trade, Aptiv PLC (NYSE: APTV ) which lost 4.50% to settle at 71.09 and United Technologies Corporation (NYSE: UTX ) which was down 4.14% to 122.68 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Arsanis Inc (NASDAQ: ASNS ) which rose 255.17% to 4.12, Wins Finance Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: WINS ) which was up 33.82% to settle at 34.79 and Aethlon Medical Inc (NASDAQ: AEMD ) which gained 25.64% to close at 1.470.
The worst performers were Ferroglobe PLC (NASDAQ: GSM ) which was down 62.26% to 1.80 in late trade, Smaaash Entertainment Inc (NASDAQ: SMSH ) which lost 40.11% to settle at 3.30 and Intellipharmaceutics International Inc (NASDAQ: IPCI ) which was down 39.70% to 0.340 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1879 to 1197 and 73 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1758 fell and 876 advanced, while 93 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 0.63% to 19.02.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was down 0.64% or 7.90 to $1220.80 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in January rose 0.50% or 0.26 to hit $51.89 a barrel, while the February Brent oil contract rose 0.33% or 0.20 to trade at $60.76 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.29% to 1.1295, while USD/JPY rose 0.17% to 113.78.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.29% at 97.265.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.