U.S. shares higher at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average up 0.64%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were higher at the close on Wednesday, as gains in the Basic Materials , Technology and Consumer Services sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average gained 0.64%, while the S&P 500 index added 0.54%, and the NASDAQ Composite index gained 0.95%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were DowDuPont Inc (NYSE: DWDP ), which rose 2.05% or 1.09 points to trade at 54.35 at the close. American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) added 1.97% or 2.08 points to end at 107.48 and Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) was up 1.73% or 2.13 points to 125.37 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ), which lost 2.72% or 1.60 points to trade at 57.25 in late trade. Exxon Mobil Corp (NYSE: XOM ) declined 0.86% or 0.66 points to end at 76.02 and Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ) shed 0.79% or 0.74 points to 93.11.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were United Rentals Inc (NYSE: URI ) which rose 6.32% to 108.30, MGM Resorts International (NYSE: MGM ) which was up 4.84% to settle at 26.87 and Interpublic Group of Companies Inc (NYSE: IPG ) which gained 4.27% to close at 23.92.
The worst performers were Under Armour Inc A (NYSE: UAA ) which was down 10.44% to 19.81 in late trade, Under Armour Inc C (NYSE: UA ) which lost 8.91% to settle at 19.010 and Mosaic Co (NYSE: MOS ) which was down 6.33% to 30.91 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Teligent Inc (NASDAQ: TLGT ) which rose 30.80% to 1.805, Staffing 360 Solutions Inc (NASDAQ: STAF ) which was up 28.79% to settle at 1.700 and EyeGate Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: EYEG ) which gained 28.30% to close at 0.513.
The worst performers were Synergy Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: SGYP ) which was down 52.80% to 0.160 in late trade, Yangtze River Port and Logistics Ltd (NASDAQ: YRIV ) which lost 23.34% to settle at 4.86 and Neurotrope Inc (NASDAQ: NTRP ) which was down 23.03% to 3.8100 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2017 to 1063 and 83 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1744 rose and 883 declined, while 97 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 1.38% to 21.46.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was up 0.27% or 3.35 to $1250.55 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in January fell 0.89% or 0.46 to hit $51.19 a barrel, while the February Brent oil contract rose 0.05% or 0.03 to trade at $60.23 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.42% to 1.1364, while USD/JPY fell 0.11% to 113.26.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.29% at 97.072.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or