The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were DowDuPont Inc (NYSE: DWDP ), which rose 2.96% or 1.64 points to trade at 57.04 at the close. Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) added 2.19% or 2.88 points to end at 134.54 and Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) was up 2.00% or 7.03 points to 359.09 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ), which lost 1.23% or 2.17 points to trade at 174.87 in late trade. UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) declined 0.65% or 1.69 points to end at 259.77 and Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ) shed 0.44% or 0.25 points to 56.83.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Fastenal Company (NASDAQ: FAST ) which rose 5.95% to 57.34, M&T Bank Corp (NYSE: MTB ) which was up 5.69% to settle at 163.21 and KKR & Co LP (F: KR51 ) which gained 4.74% to close at 19.23.
The worst performers were Signet Jewelers Ltd (NYSE: SIG ) which was down 24.67% to 25.13 in late trade, Pacific Gas & Electric Co (NYSE: PCG ) which lost 9.53% to settle at 6.36 and Morgan Stanley (NYSE: MS ) which was down 4.41% to 42.53 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were LM Funding America Inc (NASDAQ: LMFA ) which rose 49.30% to 2.12, China Advanced Construction Materials Group Inc (NASDAQ: CADC ) which was up 31.52% to settle at 4.340 and Biocept Inc (NASDAQ: BIOC ) which gained 29.49% to close at 3.030.
The worst performers were Organogenesis Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: ORGO ) which was down 57.69% to 55.000 in late trade, Medalist Diversified Reit Inc (NASDAQ: MDRR ) which lost 19.44% to settle at 7.46 and Golden Bull Ltd (NASDAQ: DNJR ) which was down 15.11% to 7.64 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2105 to 927 and 104 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1593 rose and 1034 declined, while 90 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 5.15% to 18.06 a new 1-month low.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was down 0.17% or 2.25 to $1291.55 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in February fell 0.11% or 0.06 to hit $52.25 a barrel, while the March Brent oil contract fell 0.13% or 0.08 to trade at $61.24 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.04% to 1.1393, while USD/JPY rose 0.11% to 109.20.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.03% at 95.708.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.