The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were International Business Machines (NYSE: IBM ), which rose 2.55% or 3.06 points to trade at 123.12 at the close. Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) added 2.31% or 2.92 points to end at 129.33 and The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ) was up 1.64% or 2.07 points to 128.60 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ), which lost 1.24% or 0.96 points to trade at 76.57 in late trade. Pfizer Inc (NYSE: PFE ) declined 1.17% or 0.51 points to end at 43.01 and Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) shed 0.88% or 0.42 points to 47.25.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Mylan Inc (NASDAQ: MYL ) which rose 16.13% to 36.43, Symantec Corporation (NASDAQ: SYMC ) which was up 12.59% to settle at 22.54 and Mosaic Co (NYSE: MOS ) which gained 10.61% to close at 35.64.
The worst performers were Ralph Lauren Corp Class A (NYSE: RL ) which was down 6.59% to 127.79 in late trade, AmerisourceBergen (NYSE: ABC ) which lost 5.15% to settle at 84.00 and Marriott International Inc (NASDAQ: MAR ) which was down 5.08% to 114.55 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Boxlight Corp Class A (NASDAQ: BOXL ) which rose 92.71% to 3.70, Vericel Corp Ord (NASDAQ: VCEL ) which was up 44.28% to settle at 16.650 and Naked Brand Group Ltd (NASDAQ: NAKD ) which gained 43.36% to close at 2.050.
The worst performers were OncoSec Medical Inc (NASDAQ: ONCS ) which was down 49.82% to 0.873 in late trade, GreenSky LLC (NASDAQ: GSKY ) which lost 36.70% to settle at 9.28 and iPass Inc (NASDAQ: IPAS ) which was down 34.64% to 1.1700 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1906 to 1152 and 86 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1629 rose and 1011 declined, while 82 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 0.15% to 19.91.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 0.13% or 1.60 to $1228.20 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in December fell 1.43% or 0.90 to hit $62.20 a barrel, while the January Brent oil contract fell 1.46% or 1.07 to trade at $72.10 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.09% to 1.1418, while USD/JPY rose 0.23% to 113.45.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.00% at 96.09.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.