U.S. shares higher at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average up 0.68%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were higher at the close on Tuesday, as gains in the Technology , Industrials and Consumer Services sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 0.68% to hit a new 1-month high, while the S&P 500 index gained 0.47%, and the NASDAQ Composite index gained 0.74%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which rose 3.32% or 13.18 points to trade at 410.18 at the close. DowDuPont Inc (NYSE: DWDP ) added 2.13% or 1.13 points to end at 54.26 and Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) was up 1.71% or 2.93 points to 174.18 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Pfizer Inc (NYSE: PFE ), which lost 0.78% or 0.33 points to trade at 42.11 in late trade. UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) declined 0.71% or 1.90 points to end at 266.31 and Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ) shed 0.60% or 0.59 points to 97.44.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Estee Lauder Companies Inc (NYSE: EL ) which rose 11.64% to 152.02, Leggett & Platt Incorporated (NYSE: LEG ) which was up 9.76% to settle at 44.88 and Ralph Lauren Corp Class A (NYSE: RL ) which gained 8.39% to close at 124.16.
The worst performers were Church & Dwight Company Inc (NYSE: CHD ) which was down 7.51% to 60.46 in late trade, Archer-Daniels-Midland Company (NYSE: ADM ) which lost 5.93% to settle at 41.85 and Clorox Co (NYSE: CLX ) which was down 3.55% to 152.76 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Amyris Inc (NASDAQ: AMRS ) which rose 73.10% to 5.470, Evolus Inc (NASDAQ: EOLS ) which was up 26.00% to settle at 25.83 and Internet Gold Golden Lines Ltd (NASDAQ: IGLD ) which gained 22.06% to close at 0.83.
The worst performers were BioLineRx Ltd (NASDAQ: BLRX ) which was down 40.23% to 0.439 in late trade, MDJM Ltd (NASDAQ: MDJH ) which lost 21.25% to settle at 4.04 and Control4 Co (NASDAQ: CTRL ) which was down 18.28% to 17.35 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1862 to 1145 and 119 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1386 rose and 1237 declined, while 87 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 1.02% to 15.57 a new 3-month low.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was down 0.01% or 0.15 to $1319.15 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in March fell 1.63% or 0.89 to hit $53.67 a barrel, while the April Brent oil contract fell 0.83% or 0.52 to trade at $61.99 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.24% to 1.1407, while USD/JPY rose 0.10% to 109.98.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.26% at 95.822.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or