The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ), which rose 2.10% or 1.08 points to trade at 52.49 at the close. Pfizer Inc (NYSE: PFE ) added 1.95% or 0.82 points to end at 42.96 and Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) was up 1.55% or 6.47 points to 424.05 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Coca-Cola Company (NYSE: KO ), which lost 1.26% or 0.58 points to trade at 45.28 in late trade. DowDuPont Inc (NYSE: DWDP ) declined 0.52% or 0.29 points to end at 54.97 and JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) shed 0.45% or 0.47 points to 105.00.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Intuit Inc (NASDAQ: INTU ) which rose 6.77% to 250.94, Signet Jewelers Ltd (NYSE: SIG ) which was up 5.06% to settle at 26.79 and Western Digital Corporation (NASDAQ: WDC ) which gained 4.87% to close at 49.49.
The worst performers were Kraft Heinz Co (NASDAQ: KHC ) which was down 27.46% to 34.95 in late trade, Campbell Soup Company (NYSE: CPB ) which lost 7.36% to settle at 32.83 and JM Smucker Company (NYSE: SJM ) which was down 5.01% to 101.42 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Achieve Life Sciences Inc (NASDAQ: ACHV ) which rose 84.36% to 3.3000, China Internet Nationwide Financial Services Inc (NASDAQ: CIFS ) which was up 39.13% to settle at 1.28 and Dmc Global Inc (NASDAQ: BOOM ) which gained 37.51% to close at 48.72.
The worst performers were Stampscom Inc (NASDAQ: STMP ) which was down 57.77% to 83.65 in late trade, Karyopharm Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: KPTI ) which lost 43.48% to settle at 5.07 and Trillium Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: TRIL ) which was down 42.99% to 0.73 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2178 to 842 and 93 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1818 rose and 812 declined, while 92 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 9.39% to 13.51 a new 3-month low.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was up 0.21% or 2.85 to $1330.65 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in April rose 0.23% or 0.13 to hit $57.09 a barrel, while the April Brent oil contract fell 0.19% or 0.13 to trade at $66.94 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.02% to 1.1343, while USD/JPY fell 0.00% to 110.69.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.06% at 96.405.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.