U.S. shares higher at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average up 0.72%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were higher at the close on Tuesday, as gains in the Basic Materials , Industrials and Financials sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 0.72% to hit a new all time high, while the S&P 500 index gained 0.16%, and the NASDAQ Composite index gained 0.18%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ), which rose 5.91% or 13.10 points to trade at 234.65 at the close. Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) added 4.98% or 6.56 points to end at 138.24 and American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) was up 1.60% or 1.48 points to 93.86 in late trade.
Biggest losers included International Business Machines (NYSE: IBM ), which lost 2.30% or 3.67 points to trade at 155.88 in late trade. General Electric Company (NYSE: GE ) declined 1.93% or 0.43 points to end at 21.89 and Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ) shed 1.38% or 1.98 points to 141.64.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Corning Incorporated (NYSE: GLW ) which rose 6.43% to 31.94, 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ) which was up 5.91% to settle at 234.65 and Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) which gained 4.98% to close at 138.24.
The worst performers were Whirlpool Corporation (NYSE: WHR ) which was down 10.54% to 163.26 in late trade, PACCAR Inc (NASDAQ: PCAR ) which lost 5.72% to settle at 70.38 and WW Grainger Inc (NYSE: GWW ) which was down 5.32% to 198.35 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Atossa Genetics Inc (NASDAQ: ATOS ) which rose 96.77% to 1.2200, The Bon-Ton Stores Inc (NASDAQ: BONT ) which was up 85.09% to settle at 0.611 and Aemetis Inc (NASDAQ: AMTX ) which gained 40.68% to close at 0.8300.
The worst performers were Identive Group Inc (NASDAQ: INVE ) which was down 20.00% to 3.200 in late trade, National American University (NASDAQ: NAUH ) which lost 18.37% to settle at 1.355 and Immune Design Corp (NASDAQ: IMDZ ) which was down 16.35% to 4.35 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1638 to 1441 and 137 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1243 fell and 1239 advanced, while 160 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 0.54% to 11.13.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 0.21% or 2.63 to $1278.27 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in December rose 1.10% or 0.57 to hit $52.47 a barrel, while the December Brent oil contract rose 1.71% or 0.98 to trade at $58.35 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.12% to 1.1763, while USD/JPY rose 0.41% to 113.91.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.10% at 93.81.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or