The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ), which rose 2.88% or 3.89 points to trade at 139.06 at the close. Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) added 2.37% or 1.20 points to end at 51.75 and Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) was up 2.13% or 2.69 points to 128.90 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ), which lost 0.22% or 0.45 points to trade at 200.56 in late trade. UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) declined 0.22% or 0.50 points to end at 231.95 and Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CSCO ) 0.00% or 0.00 points to 54.94.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Newell Brands Inc (NASDAQ: NWL ) which rose 13.52% to 16.63, Flowserve Corporation (NYSE: FLS ) which was up 9.34% to settle at 52.00 and Monster Beverage Corp (NASDAQ: MNST ) which gained 8.83% to close at 63.11.
The worst performers were Cognizant Technology Solutions Corp Class A (NASDAQ: CTSH ) which was down 11.05% to 59.25 in late trade, Stericycle Inc (NASDAQ: SRCL ) which lost 9.15% to settle at 52.01 and Activision Blizzard Inc (NASDAQ: ATVI ) which was down 4.84% to 47.15 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Evine Live Inc (NASDAQ: EVLV ) which rose 66.39% to 0.609, Durect Corporation (NASDAQ: DRRX ) which was up 49.01% to settle at 0.790 and Zix Corporation (NASDAQ: ZIXI ) which gained 34.63% to close at 11.080.
The worst performers were Guardion Health Sciences Inc (NASDAQ: GHSI ) which was down 24.10% to 1.6100 in late trade, Diffusion Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: DFFN ) which lost 22.20% to settle at 4.5900 and Harvard Bioscience Inc (NASDAQ: HBIO ) which was down 21.87% to 2.930 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2359 to 645 and 87 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2072 rose and 582 declined, while 77 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 10.75% to 12.87.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was up 0.65% or 8.30 to $1280.30 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in June rose 0.08% or 0.05 to hit $61.86 a barrel, while the July Brent oil contract rose 0.11% or 0.08 to trade at $70.83 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.24% to 1.1202, while USD/JPY fell 0.35% to 111.11.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.40% at 97.197.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.