U.S. shares higher at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average up 0.79%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were higher at the close on Monday, as gains in the Technology , Oil & Gas and Basic Materials sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average gained 0.79%, while the S&P 500 index added 1.47%, and the NASDAQ Composite index climbed 2.02%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ), which rose 3.46% or 5.99 points to trade at 178.90 at the close. 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ) added 3.09% or 6.21 points to end at 207.10 and Coca-Cola Company (NYSE: KO ) was up 2.99% or 1.34 points to 46.18 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which lost 5.33% or 22.53 points to trade at 400.01 in late trade. Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ) added 0.36% or 0.50 points to end at 138.56 and Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) gained 0.37% or 0.73 points to 195.97.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were NVIDIA Corporation (NASDAQ: NVDA ) which rose 6.97% to 161.14, Align Technology Inc (NASDAQ: ALGN ) which was up 5.42% to settle at 243.36 and Seagate Technology PLC (NASDAQ: STX ) which gained 5.21% to close at 48.63.
The worst performers were Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) which was down 5.33% to 400.01 in late trade, Wyndham Destinations Inc (NYSE: WYND ) which lost 4.92% to settle at 42.36 and Eli Lilly and Company (NYSE: LLY ) which was down 2.53% to 123.50 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Globus Maritime Ltd (NASDAQ: GLBS ) which rose 92.34% to 8.5400, Castor Maritime Inc (NASDAQ: CTRM ) which was up 73.08% to settle at 9.0000 and Aceto Corporation (NASDAQ: ACET ) which gained 68.48% to close at 0.25.
The worst performers were Revolution Lighting Technologies (NASDAQ: RVLT ) which was down 28.59% to 0.2785 in late trade, AquaBounty Technologies Inc (NASDAQ: AQB ) which lost 26.18% to settle at 3.610 and Truett-Hurst Inc (NASDAQ: THST ) which was down 24.87% to 1.420 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2415 to 610 and 67 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2013 rose and 629 declined, while 88 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 3.89% to 14.33.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was down 0.46% or 5.95 to $1293.35 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in April rose 1.41% or 0.79 to hit $56.86 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract rose 1.45% or 0.95 to trade at $66.69 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.06% to 1.1245, while USD/JPY rose 0.07% to 111.22.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.12% at 97.153.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or