U.S. shares higher at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average up 0.90%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were higher at the close on Friday, as gains in the Technology , Basic Materials and Industrials sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average gained 0.90%, while the S&P 500 index added 1.08%, and the NASDAQ Composite index climbed 1.51%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ), which rose 3.41% or 1.88 points to trade at 57.08 at the close. DowDuPont Inc (NYSE: DWDP ) added 3.21% or 2.06 points to end at 66.17 and Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CSCO ) was up 2.22% or 0.95 points to 43.66 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ), which lost 0.36% or 0.45 points to trade at 123.85 in late trade. Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ) declined 0.11% or 0.11 points to end at 99.36 and American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) shed 0.05% or 0.05 points to 98.25.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were TripAdvisor Inc (NASDAQ: TRIP ) which rose 5.89% to 55.21, Advanced Micro Devices Inc (NASDAQ: AMD ) which was up 4.88% to settle at 14.400 and DXC Technology Co (NYSE: DXC ) which gained 4.68% to close at 83.40.
The worst performers were Concho Resources Inc (NYSE: CXO ) which was down 5.90% to 129.21 in late trade, Cimarex Energy Co (NYSE: XEC ) which lost 5.20% to settle at 88.09 and Scana Corporation (NYSE: SCG ) which was down 2.62% to 35.35 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Co-Diagnostics Inc (NASDAQ: CODX ) which rose 65.17% to 4.79, Netlist Inc (NASDAQ: NLST ) which was up 31.92% to settle at 0.231 and Euro Tech Holdings Company Limited (NASDAQ: CLWT ) which gained 23.38% to close at 4.750.
The worst performers were Ominto Inc (NASDAQ: OMNT ) which was down 53.40% to 0.4800 in late trade, Organovo Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: ONVO ) which lost 26.40% to settle at 1.450 and Sears Holdings Corporation (NASDAQ: SHLD ) which was down 18.86% to 2.28 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2131 to 931 and 121 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1804 rose and 725 declined, while 142 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 12.51% to 13.50.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was down 0.53% or 6.90 to $1293.20 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in July fell 1.92% or 1.29 to hit $65.75 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract fell 1.08% or 0.84 to trade at $76.72 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.29% to 1.1658, while USD/JPY rose 0.64% to 109.52.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.24% at 94.18.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or