The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ), which rose 3.19% or 7.49 points to trade at 242.60 at the close. Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) added 2.77% or 3.83 points to end at 142.04 and DowDuPont Inc (NYSE: DWDP ) was up 2.31% or 1.60 points to 70.81 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Pfizer Inc (NYSE: PFE ), which lost 1.93% or 0.82 points to trade at 41.58 in late trade. Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ) declined 0.43% or 0.41 points to end at 94.54 and Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ) shed 0.10% or 0.13 points to 134.92.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Advanced Micro Devices Inc (NASDAQ: AMD ) which rose 5.34% to 25.260, General Motors Company (NYSE: GM ) which was up 4.83% to settle at 37.69 and Kansas City Southern (NYSE: KSU ) which gained 4.69% to close at 119.04.
The worst performers were Signet Jewelers Ltd (NYSE: SIG ) which was down 5.30% to 58.43 in late trade, Chipotle Mexican Grill Inc (NYSE: CMG ) which lost 4.82% to settle at 495.60 and Under Armour Inc A (NYSE: UAA ) which was down 4.07% to 20.62 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were ATA Inc (NASDAQ: ATAI ) which rose 179.17% to 2.010, Egalet Corp (NASDAQ: EGLT ) which was up 35.59% to settle at 0.40 and AGM Group Holdings Inc Class A (NASDAQ: AGMH ) which gained 27.64% to close at 24.01.
The worst performers were Eidos Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: EIDX ) which was down 31.09% to 13.94 in late trade, Fuling Global Inc (NASDAQ: FORK ) which lost 12.50% to settle at 2.450 and Alliance MMA Inc (NASDAQ: AMMA ) which was down 13.33% to 0.36 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1848 to 1180 and 143 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1375 rose and 1195 declined, while 156 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 1.25% to 12.14.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 0.31% or 3.80 to $1217.10 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in October rose 0.32% or 0.22 to hit $68.94 a barrel, while the November Brent oil contract rose 0.63% or 0.48 to trade at $76.61 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.50% to 1.1681, while USD/JPY fell 0.17% to 111.08.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.44% at 94.66.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.