U.S. shares higher at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average up 1.09%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were higher at the close on Tuesday, as gains in the Telecoms , Financials and Industrials sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average added 1.09% to hit a new all time high, while the S&P 500 index gained 0.98%, and the NASDAQ Composite index gained 0.49%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ), which rose 3.50% or 3.43 points to trade at 101.36 at the close. Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ) added 2.43% or 1.16 points to end at 48.82 and Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CSCO ) was up 2.33% or 0.86 points to 37.73 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ), which lost 0.59% or 1.02 points to trade at 173.07 in late trade. Coca-Cola Company (NYSE: KO ) declined 0.15% or 0.07 points to end at 45.83 and Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ) shed 0.08% or 0.05 points to 59.58.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were O'Reilly Automotive Inc (NASDAQ: ORLY ) which rose 5.61% to 228.47, Acuity Brands Inc (NYSE: AYI ) which was up 5.12% to settle at 168.04 and Ulta Beauty Inc (NASDAQ: ULTA ) which gained 5.02% to close at 217.07.
The worst performers were Boston Scientific Corporation (NYSE: BSX ) which was down 7.44% to 26.39 in late trade, Advanced Micro Devices Inc (NASDAQ: AMD ) which lost 3.29% to settle at 11.170 and Public Storage (NYSE: PSA ) which was down 2.56% to 209.43 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Cenveo Inc (NASDAQ: CVO ) which rose 81.37% to 1.460, Apollo Endosurgery Inc (NASDAQ: APEN ) which was up 33.00% to settle at 5.4000 and Biocept Inc (NASDAQ: BIOC ) which gained 24.98% to close at 0.825.
The worst performers were Auris Medical Holding AG (NASDAQ: EARS ) which was down 48.17% to 0.428 in late trade, Marathon Patent Group Inc (NASDAQ: MARA ) which lost 40.86% to settle at 3.850 and Insignia Systems Inc (NASDAQ: ISIG ) which was down 25.42% to 1.320 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2090 to 1008 and 124 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1639 rose and 897 declined, while 115 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 1.11% to 9.98.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 0.10% or 1.30 to $1293.10 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in January fell 0.40% or 0.23 to hit $57.88 a barrel, while the February Brent oil contract fell 0.43% or 0.27 to trade at $63.11 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.45% to 1.1844, while USD/JPY rose 0.14% to 111.41.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.34% at 93.17.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or